'You've literally got to eat mummy's cooking now.'

My issue with your response is equating instilling a love for cooking and food in a kid with someone ending up in a minimum wage job, which is the kind of comment where i don’t even know where to begin with. So I’ll just say i disagree and i don’t have the energy to get into it so, good day sir.

12 Likes

At least she didn’t blame the Chinese for it all.

@Papasan, never cook with tears.

3 Likes

My parents always treated leftovers with enthusiasm, since my mom, and later my dad, purposely cooked food that was also good reheated or cold as it was, or that could be recycled into a different dish. Leftovers from last night’s baked fish became today’s fish cakes, which we all loved. Yesterday’s leftover pasta became today’s pasta salad. Empanadas (savory turnovers) made with filling from leftover meatloaf or chicken or potatoes or whatever were absolutely delicious. Mom made great food, whether or not it was leftover-based. It was not fancy, and she didn’t do time-consuming recipes, but it was always tasty.

They had been raised when food was scarce, so their enthusiasm was quite real. And we all learned that leftovers were good - and didn’t waste food.

If you don’t like leftovers for some reason, you’ll likely pass that on to your kids - which is a shame, since leftovers can be tasty and satisfying, and can save you time and effort in the kitchen.

18 Likes

Leftovers are the best bit, yesterday’s pizza for example, my favourite meal at Christmas is the one on Boxing Day when I have made bubble and squeak with salad and pickled walnuts and lime pickle.

7 Likes

My wife is a Psychologist by day and a Professional Photographer by night. She worked with a local collective to do drive by photos for people in exchange for local business spending. Basically the photographer would go by the family’s home. Take portraits from the street while the family posed on the porch or front steps and such. They get the digital photos for free, with a dollar amount spent at a local restaurant. They had to provide proof of purchase and it had to be local, no chains. They raised $25,000!

@Edgar_Carpenter Agreed on leftovers. Wife and I like them just fine. Left over proteins for us usually become part of a salad for lunch the next day at work. My two older kids are more difficult with leftovers; my youngest gets super creative…sometimes to a fault.

6 Likes

Yeah, “how can you not like it if I made it?” doesn’t carry a whole lot of weight around here. They both like my mac & cheese and one likes my meatloaf recipe (which I got from my mom, though I did not like meatloaf as a kid) and that’s about it. Oh well, more for the parents!

My niece used to go into the “my life is a tragedy” act when she was four – it was hilarious too.

3 Likes

And now that you’ve shared your fond memories, he lives on in us also :smiley:

4 Likes

Wait, like in a metaphorical sense? You didn’t eat him did you!?!

9 Likes

It is not often that a reactionary first post on this board gets my digital heart-coin.

But here we are.

Welcome David_Rickman. I hope that you enjoy your stay.

3 Likes

Every meal I cook I intend to last 2-3 meals for 3-5 people (depending on whether the teens are with us or their mom). It’s been a great lesson in meal planning and has allowed me to take on large pieces of meat like pork shoulder and brisket that I normally wouldn’t bother with.

Edited to remove weird typo that seemed to doxx my ex (but I don’t even know a Janie!).

6 Likes

I’m a grown man, but my (inside) reaction when the local Chinese place closed down was a lot like Lila’s.

At least I can grill things sufficiently well to keep us fed.

2 Likes

We used to buy a bit of turkey to go will all our Christmas Pork Products, just so we could have cold turkey, chutney and chips. It was mainly an excuse to eat lots of chutney.

3 Likes

It used to be that the fancier the restaurant the less
one gets paid.

And a good day to you too…
…sir.

We just scored for a whole key of plain flour. Had none for a fortnight. I don’t know whether to bag it up by the gramme or make pizza.

10 Likes

If Papasan has XXL broil-in-bags in his kitchen - yup.

6 Likes

You know he does.

4 Likes

My g/f was born above the pub her folks owned in the King’s Road, Chelsea, London.
She grew up in a variety of hotels and pubs around the UK, where her mum looked after the kitchens, so she knows how to cook, being able to look at a recipe and wing it when some ingredients aren’t available and make something that’s outstanding.
She’s also obsessive about eating properly, with good green vegetables.
She also speaks Welsh, because the family owned a hotel in Barmouth, North Wales, where Welsh was compulsory, so she studied it up to O-Level.

8 Likes

Yesterday’s curry is best curry. Fact.

12 Likes

Leftovers? What are those? Anything that doesn’t go on the plates gets used with something else for another meal, there isn’t much green leftovers to go into the compost!

4 Likes