Zap a bacterium

[Permalink]

Everybody twist!

1 Like

ā€œInsanely square.ā€ Please. An unhip individual does not resemble one with mental illness. ā€œInsanelyā€ does not mean ā€œextremely,ā€ despite the impression one might have gotten from that guy in the turtleneck.

It does now.

1 Like

Your outrage is misplaced here. Are you stating your belief that Frank Zappa was entirely sane?

ā€˜One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change peopleā€™s mindsā€¦ā€™ --Frank Zappa

Iā€™m not outraged, Iā€™m merely annoyed. Iā€™m not so sure about Captain Beefheart, but, yes, I think Frank was sane. I donā€™t really want to go down this rabbit hole, but his sanity or lack thereof is not the issue. The issue is, can squareness itself be insane?

1 Like

Iā€™m inclined to say almost but not quite. Language is always changing, no doubt about that. The thing isā€¦when one uses this word, this way, it strikes me that one is participating in a marketing scheme for the benefit of a particular corporation, for free.

If you donā€™t mind my bloviating (and if you do, why are you reading this?), it reminds me of the diabolically clever application of Zipfā€™s law, with the replacement of the word ā€œprogramā€ with ā€œapp,ā€ a word thatā€™s eerily reminiscent of the name of a particular corporation. Itā€™s memetic engineering at its finest.

I suppose what Iā€™m saying is, be a tool if you want, but you should at least get a buck or two for doing it.

Also, I miss Frank.

1 Like

I have no idea what corporation youā€™re thinking of. Insanity, Inc? Whoever it is, the marketing isnā€™t working.

(I figured out the ā€œappā€ one though. Itā€™s Apple, right? Right?)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.