ZBiotics is a new "pre-alcohol" drink that claims to prevent hangovers

Originally published at: ZBiotics is a new "pre-alcohol" drink that claims to prevent hangovers | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m sticking with fried canary and raw owls’ eggs in wine.

4 Likes

Huh, I must have missed the bit where they conclusively proved what it is about drinking alcohol that gives you a hangover, because there’s no consensus I’ve ever seen.
In their Christmas issue, New Scientist magazine would often interview medical and biochemical researchers about what causes hangovers and how to prevent them, and the best answer they ever came up with was “drink less”.

3 Likes

You know what else prevents a hangover?

6 Likes

Isn’t it nice that there’s always some pill or potion to lessen or remove the unwanted effects from a night of irresponsible and dangerous personal decisions.

If it wasn’t for the selfies, no one would ever know.

5 Likes

H₂O in equal amounts to alcohol you are drinking
or a morning saline drip if you can’t be bothered the night before

3 Likes

In 2012, a Duke-trained anesthesiologist named Jason Burke bought a bus, a 1993 Eagle 15 formerly used as a touring vehicle for a Christian gospel family act. He had it driven from Tennessee to Las Vegas, where he remodeled the interior to include a lounge full of bunk beds, and then had the sides painted with the words “Hangover Heaven.”

On board, for about $ 160, the hangover-afflicted can get an intravenous drip of saline solution spiked with vitamins and antioxidants, with an anti-inflammatory and an antinausea drug also on the menu. “I’ve always been prone to hangovers. Three glasses of wine and I have a pretty rough next day,” Burke says. Mostly he relied on Advil and Gatorade, but when he was in his residency, he started hearing about other residents—not to mention paramedics, nurses, and pretty much anyone else with access—using IV saline. Sometimes they’d even travel with bags, heading to Vegas or wherever with a suitcaseful. “One day I was working in the recovery room, with all these people who had postoperative nausea and vomiting, postoperative headaches. And I’d had a pretty significant hangover the previous weekend,” Burke says. "I thought, you know, the same things I use here should work on hangovers.”

For sure, some people report good results with IV therapy. A clinic in Chicago offers a similar regime. Burke reports that since opening the bus—he’ll come to your hotel room, too—his company has treated over 10,000 people. "I was in a fraternity back in college, at UNC. This was in the days before they did irritating things like check IDs. I studied hard, but I partied hard. And now I realize I was a complete amateur,” he says. “We saw some epic hangovers this weekend. We went through fifteen barf bags.”

from Adam Rogers (2015) Proof the Science of Booze

2 Likes

H₂O in equal amounts to alcohol you are drinking

This doesn’t sound right to me. If that were true then people wouldn’t get hangovers from lite beer, but they do. It seems to have more to do with the total amount of alcohol consumed than with how much water is consumed along with it.

2 Likes

For me it’s type. Chambord I’m guaranteed a hangover regardless of how much I drink. Anything else, as long as there’s enough water, I’m fine :person_shrugging:

Not that I’ve done much drinking at all in a long time.

1 Like

the formula (as practiced by my friends) was one glass of water per one alcoholic drink. I don’t know if you could cut that down if it was a light beer - I’ve never seen anyone drink a 2-4 of lite. I’m also just speaking from observation - not many of my friends had the discipline to actually follow through all night - but those who did avoided hangovers. This was an accepted wisdom in my set, and the high school/college years seemed to bear it out.

1 Like

Yes, and saves you money, too.

But this new product is great! Before, you could save the money that you might have spent on alcohol. But now, you can save the money that you might have spent on alcohol, AND save the money that you might have spent on this product, too! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve seen this stuff on YouTube advertised by chubbyemu (you know, the guy who makes videos like “a toddler got licked by his dog. This is what happened to his brain”). I think it’s kind of a neat idea. I wonder if they could do something similar for lactose intolerance. You know, for those of us who like cheese, but can’t eat too much or we pay for it that evening…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.