ZOMG! Dave Chappelle/A Tribe Called Quest on SNL next week

YOU GUISE!!! How AWSOME is this?

Me right now!

16 Likes

As cool as this sounds, itā€™s still Tribe Called Quest without Phife.

12 Likes

True enough.

6 Likes

thanks for the heads up! my co-worker told me about the upcoming album, I guess they were working on it before Phife passed and then had a hiatus, but supposedly heā€™s got verses on there, and a pretty impressive guest roster, too. Iā€™m guessing those artists will round out the SNL appearances.

Also, seeing Chappelle return to sketch comedy is pretty huge. The potential for this to be a classic show is extraordinarily high, but never underestimate SNLā€™s ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Iā€™ll be watching, regardless.

5 Likes

I know. As long as they just let Chappelle have the reigns on most of the show, I think theyā€™ll be okay. although, I have to say, the Tom Hanks episode a couple of weeks ago was pretty solid. Most of the sketches were funny. Especially the Black Jeopardy sketch - which is normally one of my faves, but this one went above and beyond - in case you havenā€™t seen it, Hanks plays a Trump supporter:

10 Likes

That one had the perfect ending, too.

SNL is notorious for dragging things on too long past the funny, but that ending was the perfect cherry on top.

5 Likes

The Black Jeopardy sketches have always been really good, but this was the best one so far. Itā€™s usually some white, liberal college professor of Africana studies or some such, which illustrates a great class divide. Having a working class white Trump supporter was even better.

This really is one of the regularly great bits the past few years.

7 Likes

This is the first year Iā€™ve set the DVR to record SNL. The show has been so uneven for so long, but this current cast seems to be solid.

3 Likes

the exception to this was the Betty White episode. That thing was all timing. Snappiest episode in decades.

3 Likes

Does not compute. Phife always had my ear more than Q-Tip, much as I love them both.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Well, it was fun while it lasted

So was he any good? I didnā€™t see the show, was going to watch it this week on the Hulu, but then I saw this, so now Iā€™m not so sure:

From the article:

ā€œSexual assault? It wasnā€™t. He said, ā€˜And when youā€™re a star, they let you do it.ā€™ That phrase implies consent. I just donā€™t like the way the media twisted that whole thing. Nobody questioned it.ā€

Gross.

3 Likes

Itā€™s so hard to find a time traveler when you want oneā€¦

3 Likes

Argh, I thought this was about this (past) weekend. Next weekend? People are posting about shows that are that far away? Whatā€™s the point, the world could end in that time! (Seriously, at least wait until after this Tuesday.)

Reading the Observer article one should bear in mind this disclaimer at the end:

Disclosure: Donald Trump is the father-in-law of Jared Kushner, the publisher of Observer Media.

2 Likes

Itā€™s next week. This past Saturday was Benedict Cumberbatch, which was not that great, TBH. I expect more from Chappelle.[quote=ā€œd_r, post:15, topic:88751ā€]
People are posting about shows that are that far away?
[/quote]

Iā€™m quite excited about it? Umā€¦ sorry for that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 105 days. New replies are no longer allowed.