Zookeepers wear penguin disguises while caring for baby penguins (it's a sex thing)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/zookeepers-wear-penguin-disgui.html

4 Likes

Good idea. I, for one, would not want an Emperor Penguin chasing me around thinking I was a potential sexual partner!
(Hmmm - is there a Batman plot in there somewhere?)

4 Likes

They imprint on head and hand only? Are we sure those penguins aren’t raised with a lab coat fetish? Antarctica was a place where a scientist didn’t need to worry about fauna. Now better hold on to that soap.

1 Like

Previously on boingboing:

3 Likes

Penguin suits have long been associated with discouraging any form of sexuality.

9 Likes

I am surprised this works. I mean, are penguins not that smart?

So, are these penguin head disguises for sale?

(Asking for a friend)

3 Likes

The vision of infant birds isn’t that good. A penguin-colored face and a penguin-colored glove and a labcoat looks to them like a face and a hand beak and backdrop of ice and snow.

Later on, the baby birds’ vision and eye-tracking gets better, but by then they’re big enough not to get inadvertently crushed by their parents, and can safely be released back into the flock.

4 Likes

What about smell? Maybe they just don’t know better because they are used to it from birth?

Hmm, I don’t know if penguins have a highly-developed sense of smell! I do know that odors don’t transmit as much information in sub-zero, low-humidity environments as they do in warm, humid ones.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Whatever weird kinks these zookeepers want to indulge at home is fine, but bringing their fetishwear to work seems a little much to me.

It’s been done before.

One of the better scenes in “Fierce Creaturesa” has the zookeepers dressed as the animals they take care of. So someone’s a porcupine another a sealion, a bee, and a penguin.

Someone put a lot of effort into those costumes.

But no animals got overly excited about the zookeepers.

That’s a work uniform I could totally go for, as well as these:

2 Likes

I must’ve been fed by a librarian.

Is there actual, scientific evidence to back this up?

(Those baby penguins are cute.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.