100 years of Iranian women's fashion in one minute

[Permalink]

Iran is one country where you would really get a better idea of progress (and regress) if you had full-length depictions showing popular dress, as well.

I was so sad when the lady had the scarf on her head, especially after the beautiful 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s looks.

1 Like

For once, I wouldn’t mind being stuck in the 1970’s.

1 Like

My friend Shyn does the makeup for these videos. She is an awesome person and it pleases me these videos get so much attention.

You rule Shyn

Edit: She is an awesome Photographer too.
Some blatant promotion

1 Like

Amazing how close 1910s and 2010s styles are too.

A recently retired colleague and the parents of another managed to have themselves smuggled out of Iran as the worst of the lunacy there started. Assuming they are good representative of Persia, then there’s a lot of potential awesomeness bottled up in that country …

The most amazing thing to me is how 30s-70s it would have seemed no different than the USA. Not sure whether the “regression” is a good thing or bad thing. I guess it depends on whether people were “taking back” the original look or being forced upon. Comparison: I’ve seen some Asian countries go from their traditional clothes to western clothes and back, but we wouldn’t call that a regression. We just have a certain baggage associated w/ the head-dress. So if there are any Iranians out there in the last day this is open - good or bad that it’s gone back to that?

I think watching or reading Persepolis would give you some insight into your question, FWIW.

Well, after the revolution in 1979 and the creation of the Islamic State, women’s dress was regulated. It remains mandatory for all post-pubescent woman in Iran to cover their hair in public places, and the upper garment/jacket must cover a woman’s bottom. You see them pushing the boundaries in the last few decades illustrated in the video, and in practice you can see young women in Tehran and other cities pushing the boundaries even further by pushing their scarf even further back. Of course there are some who wear the chador or hijab by choice, but many—if not most-do not, and will remove it whenever they can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.