'80s Human League dance hit reduced to one lyric: Working as a waitress in a cocktail bar

[Read the post]

2 Likes

All I can say is you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

10 Likes

I feel like there are a lot of songs that benefit from being distilled down to their most important lyric. For example…

5 Likes

A great companion to the Milky Way-obsessed remix of Lenny Kravitz’s Fly Away.

3 Likes

Fun, my wife loves this song.
Ugh, cocktails, an attempt to cover the miserable and variable quality of prohibition era hard liquor once well made and aged liquor, beer, and wine went off the everyday menu.
Variable quality and prohibition go together as much as crime does, how often do you hear about methadone or even Vicodin or hydrocodone popper overdoses vs variable quality and cut percentage Heroin. Another fun fact, the patent for pharmaceutical Heroin was one of the German reparations to the US along with Asprin after WW-I.

1 Like

Came to post No Credit Card, but you beat me to the Cicierega punch.

3 Likes

I read this post and keep feeling fascination.

10 Likes

Made my morning, thanks!

Jimmy Fallon and Kevin Bacon gave The Beach Boys similar treatment last week:

1 Like

Reckon this treatment would work with

Bela Lugosi’s Dead

as well.

4 Likes

Playing this in a random mix of songs at a party, unannounced and unexplained, to some of my acid head friends sometime around 1988 would have realllllly been fun. Mean, but fun.

3 Likes

Um, no . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail

3 Likes

so, that’s great and all but what is her current state of employment?

1 Like

I guess that’s an admirably pointless annoying exercise! If someone really needed the banality of the lyrics hammered home, this is a success.

Human League were great for their first two albums, Reproduction and Travelogue. The perverse irony is that “Dare” is when they stopped doing anything original. Their later work would be sort of listenable if the singing was removed.

It’s like when you get a song stuck in your head, but you can only remember one line of the lyrics, except on Youtube it ends in less than three minutes. The cerebrum version can torment you for hours.

2 Likes

Maybe someone dared them to sell out.

This is one of those things that I never knew I needed in my life until I heard it.

1 Like

That much is true.

2 Likes

I was smilingly amused, and then the “I guess it’s just what I must do” is the ROFL moment. So much fulfilling of one’s ennui laden destiny wrapped up in one short line, so much giving in to her true nature.

It’s especially poignant when played at double speed - plus, it’s over twice as quickly.

1 Like