A half million people are playing a game on Reddit called the button

[Permalink]

Reading about this made me think about, and thus lose, The Game, I suppose. Not that I play it.

5 Likes

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/18/142518949/cow-clicker-founder-if-you-cant-ruin-it-destroy-it

I will stick with the silliness of http://www.clickerheroes.com/ thanks.

1 Like

I prefer the analog version:

14 Likes

Like Molyneux’s Curiosity, without even the pretense of a reward.

Let’s up the uselessness of this by discussing whether it’s art or not.

1 Like

It’s Lost: The Interactive Online Version!

2 Likes

Isn’t this just a cheap clone of our Questions thread?

If you are the LAST person to click The Button, YOU will get to be an overlord in Peter Molyneux’s next over-hyped game full of empty promises!

That image of Stimpson J. Cat is the background I used for the “History Eraser Button”, a free utility I gave out in the mid 90’s for users of Netscape browsers who wanted to clear their browsing history & cache.

2 Likes

Oooh - just saw it hit 50 seconds!

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

6 Likes

The Button is a LIE

1 Like

490,000+ “participants” at the time I viewed it. What exactly is this tracking and what is a participant? Are participants people who actually pressed the button, or does that stat also include passive viewers like me?

Why do I care?

“We must all work together and form a mighty faggot!”

What kind of game is this again?

3 Likes

He sounds like a dirty hypocrite…

Oh, it probably just kills someone you will never know

5 Likes

Yeah, the title of this post adds to your confusion, I think.

490,000+ people have pressed the button already.

In a sense, they are already out of the game, whatever the game is (unless the game includes watching the button count down and talking about it).

The actual participants are all Reddit users who had created accounts before the button was created – specifically, those who have heard about the button, I guess.

Anyway, it’s a kind of interesting experiment. Half a million people have already pressed this random button for no reason at all. Half a million people had no willpower to watch the button count down below 58 before they pressed it.

1 Like

See also.

Is that what you think?

2 Likes