Paired pushbuttons notify partners about desire to have sex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/paired-pushbuttons-notify-part.html

4 Likes

Finally, a way to have consensual sex without talking to another human being.

35 Likes

So I guess, theoretically, you could get a strip of duct tape and wrap it around the button so it was always pressed. And of course either partner could do this; although in practice it would likely be the one most prone to using duct tape in general.

3 Likes

How hackable will they be? “I wasn’t horny! It was Russian interference!”

I like that discussion gadget idea. Those could be given out at political events.

9 Likes

Most males in the relationship…

7 Likes

There’s got to be a free phone app for this, right? For the device we always have with us? Get on it, people!

3 Likes

Yeah until we take our blood pressure meds, ulcer meds, being old, the button may as well say but honey Star Trek is on.

15 Likes

At my university 15-20 years ago we used to have an email-based system for this. It was only available to Seniors during the last month of the year. You emailed the anonymous student manager of the system with names of whoever you wanted to hook up with, and if two people put each other, they would get an email telling them they were a match.

5 Likes

Duct tape bad! Use painter’s tape. Much safer.

6 Likes

Saddest country song ever.

4 Likes

So… You’re the Tesla of Tinder !

2 Likes

There’s something kind of sad and desperate about this.

I can’t help but think that the big market for this is the half of the couple who really doesn’t need a button, because it’s damn near in an always-on signaled state anyway, and maybe you’d be better off investing in couples therapy, or sending the kids to their grandparents for the week or whatever

7 Likes

I bet the student manager had some great stories.

2 Likes

The comment I’ve seen elsewhere is that this might be mainly/originally intended for folks who are not neurotypical, and could really use something like this. It’s hard to make such things affordable sometimes if you restrict them to the main audience, so you try to sell to a wider group. (See also: pre-peeled oranges for folks with hand issues, for example.)

7 Likes

I bet the student manager had some great matches!

6 Likes

Fair point. It’s easy to make fun of these helper devices, until you realize that not everyone is exactly like you.

8 Likes

Kind of like a discussion pillow - but with an Arduino!

Weighted blankets come to mind. Originally made for those on the autistic spectrum, they are now very popular with the general public. As a consequence, you can easily find them on Amazon at reasonable prices.

2 Likes

What could go wrong?

2 Likes
4 Likes