Alabama middle-school principal asks students to bring canned food to throw at school shooters

Another blogger claims to have traced this idea to its source,

“…apparently an element of the “ALICE” (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) system of response to an active shooter in a school.”
Source: ALICE shouldn’t live here anymore – Random Acts of Gibberish

We just want to make sure our kids know how to Treet a visitor.

3 Likes

Can jitsu is far more practical outside the dojo.

11 Likes

Somebody had to say it.

School shooter? Literally Spam the guy into submission.

1 Like

You bring a can, he comes in with a six pack. You counter with a case, he’s got kegs in his pickup. Utter madness…

Can’t we all just get along?

Or can we?

10 Likes

The only solution is to put the kids back into the canneries and tanneries and weaving mills. FOR THEIR SAFETY.

8 Likes

This seems appropriate here:

5 Likes

Don’t they have books? Can be very heavy, readily available - maybe they don’t act as a projectile so well because of the shape, but still. And then there’s chairs and other things. Why do you need to bring in additional items to use as weaponry?

Though I find it very sad that such things even need to be considered. Something needs to be done about the mental health care. I was once a bullied kid, and I once wished for revenge on a particular schoolmate (not death, just a little stab), but that luckily passed. For some, the anger only grows.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Throwing heavy pieces of metal at a bad guy to stop them. It seems that there should be a way to automate this – perhaps using some type of flammable, granulated, solid propellant to drive the metal. I feel an idea coming on!

6 Likes

I see what you did there.

Edit: I guess “weaponizing” would be a 58th way to use Heinz Condensed Soups. Progress!

4 Likes

MacGyver Gets Lazy

7 Likes

Aside from being so low probability that those canned goods are wasted(and, in any case, why cans? Are rocks not good enough?); the “Throw stuff at gunmen” strategy is strictly second rate as strategies go.

If your back is (literally or proverbially) against the wall, and you can’t do anything else, the situation is dire enough that hoping for a lucky hit with some sort of improvised projectile doesn’t hurt; but if you do have better options(like ‘running’ ‘hiding’, ‘attempting to put locked doors between yourself and the shooter’, etc.) feebly throwing things just increases the duration of relatively close range exposure to gunfire, which is notably bad for your health.

Especially given the force that a middle schooler can put behind a throw, and the (lousy) accuracy of terrified and largely unpracticed throwers, throwing things might actually be less effective than attempting to rush to melee range. You won’t necessarily make it; but if you do the degree of disparity in equipment is going to be lower. Guns are exquisitely efficient mechanisms for putting projectiles into targets, hard enough to do damage. Throwing cans? Maybe if you have a group of the school’s best pitchers concealed at medium range; but that’s a best case scenario.

3 Likes

See if you can keep at least a few glass-platter era ones already opened and ready to go: I can tell you from unpleasant experience that, if cracked, a glass platter forms an edge sharper than a razor. Passes through soft tissue so smoothly that you don’t even know you’ve been cut until you start bleeding all over the place.

3 Likes

The principle came up with this plan after a screening of Crocodile Dundee.

/obscure?

1 Like

Well, not too obscure (somebody already beat you to it).

Just like the edges of a cheap desktop PC case. Back in my PC building days, I left more DNA (get your mind out of the gutter!) than I would care to admit inside of just about every PC that I built for somebody.

2 Likes

I predict that something will go wrong with this plan, and the people responsible will be canned.

5 Likes

I guess we’re going to have to update that old saying to

“Bringing a can of beans to a gun fight”

5 Likes

Well, she managed to stun me, at least…

1 Like

This is such a stupid idea the principal may get canned.

2 Likes

I think it would be more efficient for the students to bring “Please shoot me next signs”.

1 Like