Amazing ways to improve your fruit-preparation technique

Elderberries are quite tart, but make wonderful jam and balance other fruits in compotes and pies. If you’ve never tried them - hunt them down!

2 Likes

Well, I’m québecois, to be sure, but of Scots-Irish descent. However, if we’re talking about taunting Sassenachs, I can get behind that…

I may well do. I see that flowers are also usable. Right now, though, the next-door neighbours have a choke cherry bush that they don’t harvest, and I’m more than welcome to do so… The raw berries are astringent enough to be an acquired taste, but it too makes a good base for confitures et tartinades.

When we lived in the Canary islands, I’d pick these cactus all the time.

“Prickly pear”. Those cacti are all over arid regions in the western US and Mexico.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Elderberry Wine is delicious, but it has no shelf life. You gotta drink it like a gallon of milk because it tastes terrible once you let it sit for awhile.

I’m used to “nopal” for the paddles and “tuna” for the fruit…
My mother-in-law uses nopales in all sorts of dishes: soups, omelettes, salads, etc.

This whole thread just makes me hungry when I check back in on it!

You're doing it wrong!

Side note: I’ve been looking for this d@#n video for years, and finally found it. I originally saw it live.

2 Likes

That’s was a delightful interlude of WTFery. Nice to get my morning suitably enweirdened.

Reminds me of an arthouse version of:

2 Likes

Nice to know that Theatre of the Absurd has not disappeared in eastern Europe.

When did the default meaning of kiwi shift from bird to fruit? I tried the spoon, the blood was everywhere, and the feathers …oh, the feathers.

1 Like

Bird? I thought that both male and female New Zealanders were called kiwis… Feathers? was she wearing a boa?

1 Like

I think there are more than two male New Zealanders. But I’m also counting the elephants.

1 Like

fixed :slight_smile:
Unfortunately I have no likes to give… for now

No snakes in NZ. Maybe it was a tuatara?

2 Likes

But your children are bound to be confused if they ever go to a restaurant with hedgehog on the menu…

Notwithstanding the the hedgehog technique, I love my mango cutter. I’m sure Alton Brown would object, but I find it’s one of those single-use devices that is so good at its job, it justifies its existence.

1 Like

Thus rendering opaque my response goddammit. There oughda be roolz!

IIRC the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit from the Chinese Gooseberry because the first major exporter to send them to the States was from New Zealand and he didn’t want people to think it was one of those weird Asian fruits like the durian.

Fixed?

I came across that a while back and was wondering… Perhaps I will give it a try – looks like it would make it easier for my mother-in-law.