[Permalink]

2 Likes

Well, It’s a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, ‘57, ‘58’ 59’ automobile

5 Likes

Want. Sight unseen, want.

Didn’t bother to finish the article.

Want.

3 Likes

I don’t believe she’s flogging them on eBay. Sorry.

I wanna know how Neil smuggled the purse out of the Command Module, beside AFAIK, the payloads on the mission are strictly planned.

I wonder if he had to carry it with him onto the carrier and into the isolation module, or maybe he hid it in his suit.
“Hey, Neil, is that your purse or are you glad to see me?”

I suppose he could have gone back to get the loot from the crew after he was released from quarantine.

I am amused on how it’s so MILSPECy with all the weathertight connectors for mundane purposes like powering a flashlight.

I felt the same way, but when I saw the article on io9/sploid they had the photo.
I wrote about the rest of the story, especially the question of why it was a loan on my blog, Spocko’s Brain.

What I really think is cool is the camera. but even the most mundane item is interesting. They would be things that Warehouse 13 or The Library would give special power to in an episode, when they are really SCIENCE and engineering and craftsmanship.

2 Likes

Well the story over at Space Collector talks about how the got the stuff and the issue of if they owned it. In my article at Spocko’s Brain I talk about the checklist from Apollo 13 that Lovell wanted to sell for 388,000 and the people at NASA wanted to see proof that it was given to him to keep.

That is what the bill and law was about. That it happened after Armstrong’s death and that this came out after that are significant. That she gave it to a museum is also important. Armstrong doing the right thing right up to his death and beyond.

However if his wife and family need money to keep in good heath I’m sure that they will find some takers for other stuff they find.

1 Like

The prop guys from the Apollo Moon Landing set must have been livid.

6 Likes

Then there’s that awkward silence every time Michael Collins did something he wasn’t officially trained for in case the module couldn’t make it off the surface.

“Hey – that’s my job. How did you know how to do that?”

“Oh…I guess I just saw you doin’ it earlier.”

“Were they teaching you our jobs?”

“Ummm…”

3 Likes

When you have the resources, it is generally a good idea to use the better specs. You can encounter the unexpected - condensation comes to mind to warrant the water-tightness, for example. It’s a good idea when your nearest service workshop is mere dozens of miles away, double so if it is hundreds of thousands.

1 Like

Yeah, I work with stuff that’s manufactured to MILSPECs and it can handle a ton of abuse, like being dropped thousands of times, or going to very cold temps - it depends on the actual spec it’s manufactured to how durable it is. The testing process is extraordinary - the equipment we have at work is pretty fun to see, with ovens for heating things up, freezers for taking them to very cold temps, and special tumbling machines to make sure it’ll handle being knocked around. So, if I was going to be thousands of miles away from the nearest shop, I’d want this very durable equipment.

Of course the most fun is in the details; the differences between milspec and consumer-grade designs, the opportunities for low-cost high-impact design tweaks to get not-entirely-milspec-but-close-enough, approaches that can be used during repairs so the repaired part will be the last thing that will fail the next time…

On my “must see” list for when I get home this August! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.