Apple Watch - What makes this $400 watch better then $40 android counterparts?

Ah, makes sense, thanks for clarifying. So the iWatch, pretty much all smart watches, and all smart phones, are on that list…is there an interface for these devices you prefer over touch?

2 Likes

Do android wear devices support multitouch gestures? If so, how well do they work?

1 Like

Have you compiled lynx for this device?

2 Likes

Maybe I’ve got enough sensors on and in my body that I prefer to use those instead of wiping my greasy fingers on my devices.

Which brings us back to these watches, which - unlike most appliances - are strapped to people’s bodies, and could probably be controlled by the same arm that is wearing it.

I do prefer using a keyboard for many things, because it is efficient, more so than a mouse or most other forms of gestural interface. I preferred having a keyboard on my Treo to the capacitive screen on my Commando. I can’t even be arsed to buy a tablet or ebook reader. I can lash together a decent EEG or EMG → HID setup for my computers at home in a few minutes.

1 Like

wow, blast from the past! i remember those. you can get calculator watches for under $2 at aliexpress these days…

maybe @popobawa4u would prefer something like this?

Yes. Quite well.

The iPod nano 6th generation, were multitouch watch sized displays, there were even some really nice watch bands made for them. They were the apple watch long before the official apple watch, anyone who wanted an apple made watch with lots of other apps including nike fitness, could have had one years ago. There weren’t many people wearing them though…the demand hadn’t been manufactured yet, back then everyone was touting how they no longer had to wear a watch because they could check the time from their phone, and how the phone had made the watch obsolete…times and trends trends to oscillate like that.

my favorite:

some others:

How about implant a mesh in the wrist/arm which gets grown in with my neurons, and has a snap connector on the outside? Then I can snap a watch or whatever else I need to interface with onto this, and do it directly.

sounds okay, so long as your arm isn’t obsolete 2 years later. what about now, with today’s tech?

1 Like

If my arm becomes obsolete, I have worse problems!

Direct biological control is today’s tech. I’ve been doing crude versions of this stuff for 20 years, with neither money nor training, so I don’t doubt that others could do it better. And smaller, which means portable. The Apple watch is even marketed as being a biosensor, but they didn’t bother to make it controllable that way.

Interesting concept, I’ll have to give that some more thought.

There have been big strides in identifying movement signatures, not sure if you’ve heard of the atlas wristband for exercise tracking… https://www.atlaswearables.com/

Hmm, sounds like first hand experience is required. Next time I see an Android Watch (running a proper Android Wear interface) on display, I’ll investigate further. I’ve gotta say, though, that the crown is a damn good interface.

Theoretical considerations need to give way to humane ones.

I’ll agree to disagree.

I’d argue that a uniform interface across all devices and sticking with what works is more of a human consideration then resorting to a kludge. again maybe i’ll grow to like it if i ever get one…but i seriously doubt the digital crown will last or become a thing:

Did you see my comment above about there actually being an apple watch that was multi-touch and crownless available for years, the iPod Nano 6th gen with watch band. No one really wanted it though, at least not many, as it was before its time, and before any manufactured demand to sway the trend back to watches. it existed primarly during an anti-watch pro-phone era as driven by Apple at the time.

Well, according to the Register:

multi-touch is overstating it.

iFixit’s teardown of the purportedly multi-touch iPod nano led Wiens to the conclusion that: “Apple is seriously reaching by calling the Nano ‘multi-touch’.” Wiens has a point. Apple’s support page for the iPod nano indicates that the device supports only one multi-touch gesture: a two-finger screen-rotation.

I suppose it would be amusing if the real reason Apple used a “crown” was to avoid patents.

1 Like

Very interesting idea, and very plausible in today’s world where even large corporations are tied up by the tangle of IP. I hadn’t considered this possibility, but it makes a lot of sense.

I could be mistaken but I remember pinch working to close apps…and i thought pinch zoom worked on photos…but i haven’t had one in my hands in a while so i could have been mistaken. i’m sure we could make something better today for the same price.

i do find it fascinating how these trends oscillate, and how demand drives the market but the market also drives demand. i personally am looking forward to where wearables are headed, not so excited about these early generation devices, but I do see a lot of potential a few years down the road.

to see how far things have come, did you see the iWatch teardown…

This topic was automatically closed after 665 days. New replies are no longer allowed.