Barber bans marijuana-scented customers

You scanned for words without actually reading, didn’t you.

Well, yeah. What’s your point? You wouldn’t like it if I dumped a bucket of used motor oil on you and then said “Well, I like the feel of motor oil on my skin, so that’s just like your opinion, man.”

1 Like

See, this is the problem. People who insist that they couldn’t possibly smell despite people standing right next to them saying that they do.

2 Likes

No one is arguing that point. What you’re describing with oil is physical assault. Things like smell and taste are far more complicated and subjective than you two are making it out to be, and they’re directly connected in your brain. And not only your personal sense of smell and preference, but how the smell occurs.

What strain is it? How was it smoked? How long ago? Was it plant or concentrate? What are the environment conditions? Is there something you ate that is emphasizing, or on the flip side overpowering, the smell? Is there an event in your past that has caused you to imprint a negative feeling towards the smell, as so many people do with food texture?

“Let’s admit it. It reeks.” is a completely subjective statement, which is the only thing I said on the subject. That’s all. :wink:

It has a VERY strong odor. If it were vanilla or roses and these smells were this strong, it would be offensive.

If someone is wearing a strong perfume, it is offensive. The fact of the matter is, weed infuses almost anything around and is generally the most pungent smell in the mix. Even taking purely subjective, it is an overpowering smell. No one should be forced to deal with any overpowering smell. It is why I prefer alcohol to tobacco or weed. It can be enjoyed without others having to partake in your enjoyment of it. There are assholes that drink and personally? I think they should have their privileged of drinking in public, around others taken away too.

My biggest complaint about weed is having to smell it. My biggest complaint about tobacco is that I smell like it and I don’t smoke it. I love my friends that have magic brownies as their way of getting it in their system…no smell!

2 Likes

No, not quite what I was saying. It CAN be a strong smell, but usually it doesn’t smell strong enough or stick around long enough that it would be noticeable to other patrons in the barber shop. A heavy smoker, or someone who works with fresh product, might have a smell strong enough to be noticed by other patrons, which was the ONLY reason mentioned by the article, but the average user, might have had a few small puffs hours before which wouldn’t be noticeable by other patrons. I was saying “how big a problem can it be”? What percentage of this guys patrons are heavy enough smokers and smoked recently enough to smell strong enough to be noticed by other patrons?

more likely then not if someone smells strong enough to be smelled by other patrons then they just smoked up a minute ago, work with fresh product like a trimmer, or are a very heaver smoker.  My point was what percentage of his patrons would fall into these categories unless his shop is adjunct a dispensary?

Sure it is possible that a heavy smoker could smell, but the average smoker has only a few small puffs, not enough to get on your clothes or leave any noticeable odor after any length of time. You have to smoke a lot of pot to have a noticeable smell after any length of time compared to cigarets or pipe tobacco or cigars.

People who work around non-smoked product like trimmers actually smell much much stronger and that smell sticks a lot longer which was my other point.

The average joe smoker wouldn’t have a delectable smell that “other patrons” would be complaining about. The shop owner wasn’t saying anything about smelling someone up close and sniffing all up in their business, he claims that other patrons were complaining, which is an entirely different level of smell then the average pot smoker who might have had a small puff hours earlier in the day.

You can’t deny someone access to your business because they smell like cigarets, i think it is very “shakey” ground to think you can do it for smelling like weed.

“Enough,” obviously. Are you saying you think he’s lying? I don’t get it.

I don’t think your assessment of “how much pot odor is noticeable” is realistic. You’re acclimated to it and so you don’t notice it, but believe me, other people do–not everybody, but some people. A friend of mine who was a chain-smoker never realized that people could smell it on her until she quit. It’s like that.

Also:

Uh, yeah, you absolutely can. You can deny someone access because you don’t like how they’re dressed, or because they’re talking too loud, or because you don’t like their face, or basically anything that doesn’t fall into a state or federal protected category. (Race, religion, gender…maybe age, sexual orientation in some places.) Most businesses don’t do that, because it’s bad for business, but dress codes are common in upscale restaurants and clubs, and in some extra-swanky joints you can’t get in unless the bouncer thinks you look cool enough.

Now if, say, someone tried to specifically ban Afros and Jheri curls, they’d likely (and rightly) get called out for racism; but I doubt you can convince a judge that your religion requires you to smell bad.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t jump to assumptions about people you don’t know at all, or else people will assume all your opinions are just as unfounded.

Yes. Like I said, unless you are a heavy smoker of marijuana, just smoked a few minutes ago, or handle fresh product, other people are highly unlikely to smell it on you, the average user very seldom smells at all. I’m keeping a very balanced and realistic perspective, not jumping to one extreme or the other.

I’m saying there is more to the story. From the article one of his customers complained which was the impetus. I wouldn’t assume you have all the facts or some insight the rest of us lack, unless you are the guy in the article or the person who lodged the complaint that triggered this action.

Whatever your opinion of medical marijuana, many people in Colorado carry medical marijuana cards. Prohibiting someone access based on their medical requirements is problematic legally. It isn’t as simple an issue as you assume. You can’t deny service animals, wheel chairs, oxygen tanks, etc. The medical aspect in that state does indeed make this very tenuous legal grounds to deny service. But don’t take my word for it, ask a lawyer in Colorado.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.