Beautiful minimalist scissors from Japan

Those? Thread clippers are utility itself. Sewing of all kinds could hardly proceed without those little thread clipper doodads. The hinge sits in your palm, they can hang on a string, light weight, x zillions of sewing operations without setting them down at all. It seems not-minimal to have a single purpose thread clipping scissor, but without 'em? Speed and quality rely on tools for the purpose.

Finally signed up today because, well…I really like thread clippers and I think they’re gorge.

2 Likes

“I have a pair of Ward and Payne’s that I bought bright and new
I’ll rig 'em up and let you see what I can really do!
For I’ve shore on the Bogan where they shear 'em by the score
But such a terror as this board I’ve never shore before…”

1 Like

I’ve seen people use spring scissors in China, most commonly for needlework.

Funny, antique “western” scissors have the same shape !

They seem dangerous, always open like that…

1 Like

Oy mate, you call those scissors? Now this is a pair of scissors.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure they’re great to use, but it’s just a shame that a beautiful and simple thousand-year old (in the west as well as in Japan) design has evolved into something rather more complicated and uglier.

Are the multipart ones actually better than those made from a single piece of metal? Or just cheaper/easier to make?

It is still possible to get single-piece ones from medieval re-enacting suppliers (e.g. here) as well as bonsai people.

Depends on the job I suppose. For tailoring and dressmaking, a two-piece design is IMO better as it’s more precise to use, better control over the cut and able to cut at a flatter angle and comfortable in the hand.

For thread snips, one-piece FTW every single time.

And I wouldn’t have room in the house for the ones in the OP. They look like they were designed by somebody who doesn’t have to use them. Nice lines, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.