This four pack of highly rated scissors is $8

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/this-four-pack-of-highly-rated.html

2 Likes

I see it includes the John Fogerty one!

2 Likes

Tempted but i do have 2 scissors at home already. Btw the deal is 99% claimed so its nearly over.

I have a pair as well!

this 4-pack of 9-inch titanium blade scissors

Wait, what? Ain’t no way they’re made of titanium. -checks item description-

Titanium-enhanced stainless-steel blades.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure “titanium-enhanced” is equivalent to “bullshit-infused”

5 Likes

Did you get them at the Leftorium along with a left handed mug?

Sex%2C_Pies%2C_and_Idiot_Scrapes_-00144

1 Like

Definitely. I have a titanium fountain pen nib. I’m not sure yet if I prefer it to the stainless version, but I sure had to pay a lot more for it.

These sorts of stores do exist, I visited one in Rochester many years ago but I didn’t end up buying anything.

I have a left-handed coffee mug, but just the one and it’s fairly normal looking. I am extremely tempted to pick up a dribble mug like this.
604970-2

5 Likes

It means they are coated in titanium, which is pretty common for scissors now-a-days, and really does make them better.

3 Likes

and an hour later the price has increased by 37%

1 Like

But can I run with them?

8 Likes

I’m running with them right n

11 Likes

Take your roller blades off first.

8 Likes

Gingher’s are awesome, but I keep some cheaper scissors for anything likely to dull them. I can and do sharpen my scissors and put a thin coat of blade oil on them, but the less often I need to do that the better.

2 Likes

8 Likes

< pedant > Probably titanium nitride (TiN), a hard ceramic used to coat cutting tools such as drill bits. That’s what gives the blades their gold finish. It’s interesting that half the scissors have grey blades, which could mean they are coated with titanium carbonitride (TiCN), a slightly harder ceramic. Why the two types, I don’t know. As you say, the coating should result in the scissors staying sharp longer. </ pedant >

That said, I’m increasingly annoyed at sellers forcing excessive consumption by offering items in sets of 2, 4, or more when I only need one. After all, how many rakes do I need to chase those kids off my lawn? (I suspect my local Costco has these scissors in a blister pack of 144.)

6 Likes

Life hack, if you set a bunch of them out, you won’t need to chase them; just sit back and watch the comedy!

(Not really, don’t do this, someone will likely get hurt and the rake-minelayer sued. But a grouch like me can dream.)

3 Likes

Why do they coat the whole blade and not just the cutting edges?

1 Like

I’m guessing for looks, but I don’t really know. It’s probably easier to coat the entire blade than to get a neat line of coating along the cutting edge. The TiN coating process must be pretty cheap these days, judging by all the inexpensive drill bit sets and other tools I see in the hardware stores.

Scissors are a good application for the process, since the edges are only ground on one side, so the inner faces of the blades, which do the actual cutting, remain TiN after resharpening. (Not that either the manufacturer or most buyers give much thought to resharpening a $2 pair of scissors.)

Hey mister! Can we have our ball back?

1 Like