Testing for the best pair of scissors

Originally published at: Testing for the best pair of scissors | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What? No Engineer brand Japanese scissors?

2 Likes

I like my Cutco Super Shears. H8 away. I can cut a copper penny one day; and stationary the next.
And, separate them into two pieces for cosplay! Whoa.

Wouldn’t this work better as a blog? Perhaps even the script in written form?
Show me the graphs, with text explaining the testing procedures. The video doesn’t do anything beyond fulfilling the basic obligations of the medium,

I kind of like their “late night infomercial, except it’s not trying to sell me anything in particular” style.

Personally, I am a third generation Zwilling Küchenhilfe user, although unfortunately in recent years those have gotten pretty expensive.

2 Likes

For about 25 years now, I’ve owned a pair of Dahle All-Around Scissors. With each use it self-sharpens… something I can happily verify. To the hand the opening/closing action feels as smooth as a baby’s butt. A human baby… not a Cthulhu baby.

1 Like

A pair of these is on my wish list.

5 Likes

I’ve got a pair of Hasegawa scissors that are great for cutting cardstock and cardboard. I also have an Oxo brand pair of detachable kitchen scissors that I wouldn’t foist on my worst enemy.

I recently bought these Fiscars for my wife, she doesn’t cut metal but for fabric and paper she really likes them. She has bad arthritis and drops things a lot.

She says these are great and they were less than 15 bucks.

1 Like

Given the glowing reviews of many brands of Japanese scissors, I’m surprised he didn’t test more, but maybe he wanted to test what was likely to be available in a typical North American hardware store, with the KAI pair as a high end point of comparison.

My Fiskars are older models, made in Finland or the US. I’ve seen complaints online that the quality has gone downhill since they moved the manufacturing to China, so I’m glad to see they are still good value for the money.

1 Like

The Gingher and KAI scissors are geared towards the sewing market, so I’m not sure why you would find them in a hardware store. KAIs are mai order, Ginghers are sold in places like Michael’s, Joann’s, your local independent quilting shop, etc.

1 Like

“… Fiskars and love them.” Me to.

Love this video as it talks of what makes good scissors. Like knives the best are specific to a task.

The price of the KAI scissors would seem cheap to many professional cooks… on the other hand:

2 Likes

KAI scissors are cheap. My wife has a pair (she’s a weaver, when she’s not being a neuroscientist), I don’t remember what they cost but I bought them for her and I’m a cheap bastard and wouldn’t have paid an arm and a leg for them.

I’m impressed by the time a dedication that goes into the bonzai scissors, but $35K for a pair of scissors seems to me to be a little past the point where the cost of production exceeds the value of the thing produced. The Ernest Wright scissors from Sheffield seem a plausible purchase.

1 Like

Yes I agree the price is a bit steep but I like the fact that two knives joined together is one of the hardest crafts to learn and the product is for shaping small trees and not as a weapon to kill another human being :grinning:

I love Japanese knives in general. The price may seem expensive but they do allow you to make amazing food as the knives cut cleanly and don’t mash up or bruise the product that you are cooking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.