British Library releases over a million public domain images

[Read the post]

More precisely, “Mandrill attack! How the fuck did I get myself into this situation?” Also TIL, mandrills are no longer classified as baboons.

2 Likes

There is something so glorious about the phrase ‘weasels ripped my flesh’, that I just can’t accept classifying that incident as a mere ‘weasel attack’. I don’t quite know what it is about the phrase; but it is a glorious one.

2 Likes

Scrolling through those images, I began to worry that you had reposted the entire collection here.

7 Likes

I have to assume this is where Zappa got the idea for his album?

1 Like

Waaait a minute wasn’t this image posted recently on BB too?

1 Like

These posts always make me think of the wonderful Tim Cahill.

So, like, gamergate?

1 Like

I’m sure it’s obvious to everyone, but I was struck by the fact that every woman was wearing the same red shirt.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re the Security, aka the expendables?
We’ll see for sure after the landing party is beamed down.

2 Likes

Yeah what’s up with that?

Honestly, I expect it’s just a weird consistency of the Illustrator. Maybe he just got really good at drawing women in red shirts, similar to how Rob Liefeld got really good at drawing a parchment scroll with his name in it.

Alternatively, given the Misogyny expressed by the headlines on those magazines, I suspect the color may have some deeper meaning.

Any chance Walter Palmer is the cover model?

I learned early on not to travel shirtless through waist deep water with a woman wearing a unbuttoned red shirt and no bra. That is a sure way to get attacked by a swarm of whatever wild creature happens to be nearby.

4 Likes

I’m going to assert copyright over the whole damn collection and charge a few pennies per eyeball.

I’ve been to Savannah. It is definitely not a joytown. However, rammed in the gut and dying is pretty accurate. Especially if you’ve been by Paula Dean’s place.

1 Like

…lower resolution images, as a means of advertising the higher resolution versions that they want to license to you. All in all, it’s a rather disappointing posture for the British Library to take.

1 Like

These guys fighting turtles and crabs? Come on guys. MAN UP

2 Likes

It is, according to the Wikipedia page. Thought I’d made a discovery.

I think some of those men were provoking the animals, taunting them and suchlike for a good story. How else do you get attacked by flying squirrels or giant otters? Either that or they made it up.

CRAZY…Apparently this is actually a thing with these magazines…