Burning Man census reveals demographic surprises for everyone but Burning Man regulars

There is surely a causal relationship, stay away from the things I love!

One of these days I’d love to go, but crowds make me squirrely.

That’s way worse than Google’s demographics.

Maximum summer temperature rarely exceeds 35° C (95° F), and minimum winter temperatures are often below –20° C (–4° F). Summers are warm with a July daily mean temperature of 24° C (75° F) and winters cool with January daily mean temperatures of about 1.6 ° C (35° F).

There is no good time of year on the playa.

Yeah, in the hottest parts of the day I trialed various desert people clothing. Unfashionable and super effective.

1 Like

Well, you could see how it would work with hippie festivals; for the first few years it keeps improving as more of the target audience shows up, and then it becomes a victim of its own success after a while when the wrong crowd shows up.

2 Likes

Aye. I remember going to free festies and being all, like, ‘wouldn’t it be great if everyone did this?’ Turns out it’s not. Who knew?

1 Like

Take a moment to ponder how absolutely, transcendently fantastic online gaming could be if you could exclude the assholes.

(Let me save you some time, dear reader: “But then there wouldn’t be anyone left, hurr hurr!”)

3 Likes

Republicans, maybe, but why would Libertarians have any problem with Burning Man? (The fact that you don’t like Libertarians doesn’t count.)

(Except for schedule, of course; back when I was doing active politics, the LP national convention was almost always Labor Day weekend, and by the time I’d stopped doing that every year and moved to Silicon Valley, Burning Man had gotten huge, way out of hand, gone from 5,000 people one year to 10,000 the next. So yeah, as somebody said below, I get to use the hipster line about having stopped going before it got popular
 And Labor Day was also the standard date for the Worldcon science fiction conventions, though some years it was moved around to avoid conflict with Burning Man.)

I believe that the caption to the photo should read ‘his playa name’ not ‘his play name’.

I have no idea, but the numbers worked out just right to support the joke.

Oh that’s easy - just have them take the Online Asshole Inventory.

1 Like

Hello beautiful community Burningman! I did not buy a ticket still to Burningman and good, rather sincerely am shortly I a little (you know, add cars, costumes and that whole this moved wasteland material above!) in addition, then I thought that Burningman is really not a very cool experience, if I am not there thus who to Burningman to go would want, if I were not there? I do not mean me!

On Saturday night we burn the man. Please so whole you beautifully, gorgeous peoples Burningman out there, hear give you mine pretext and you me a ticket
 please? Or I am forced to sell driftwood on your front Sidewalk!

Which I over burning man dear, is to be expired able, dancing with 9 a.m
 I have considered that threads on e-playa recently
 one, where people exchange stories over, which them Nichtbrenner over burning one explains part of the discussion, on which, centered to explain a trying, why we to the fire to go. I confronted this question to more than my portion of times. Up to a certain degree I fit the form. I am a Adventurer. I love clearance. I have an additional drilling in my head, of that the mandatory gold volume of dangles. At the first volatile view I announce into the burning man mass ather well. Still if my universitygraduating category would have had the precaution for selecting, I would have been a little probably selected probably ", over to burn ". It is not my appearance, which educates me an improbable burner, it is my paradigm. Prepare your hearts for an impact, group. I am borned again a Christian.

Even more strangely (or some even worse would say), I am a minister
 am been for years. I formed it my life and will continue to thus do. On playa we are at the grace of the God (some it would say but would remind the universe, that
 I had a paradigm). Some of us spiders accomplish dance music, bend staff, inform Yoga, lead Meditationen, give Massagen, wash hair of the people or feet, March in the parades with fire. Others of us contribute, by working within the burning man organization with the DPW, mass guard, lamp lighters, ons-call service or, Rangers. Rank ring is my art. We find creative solutions to the inevitable conflicts, which develop in a population of thousands. There is no purchase or selling. Which we cause, we release. Being selfly-sufficient, we have to be divided enough. We are a community of the strangers, and we more nevertheless are like family than some families. ", "we say and mean welcome house with one another it. They are to be celebrated here.

On Saturday night we burn the man. While the prozession begins, the circle forms, and the man ignites, you experiences, which, too, is somewhat personal somewhat on is somewhat new, which you never felt before. It is epiphany, it is original, it is newborn. And it is completely individual.

Please so whole you beautifully, gorgeous peoples Burningman out
there, hear give you mine pretext and you me a ticket
 please? Or I am forced to sell driftwood on your front Sidewalk!

On Saturday night we burn the man.

(hippies selling driftwood and smelling of patchoulli)

1 Like

There was a thing that was cool before Burning Man was cool
 the Oregon Country Fair
 THAT was cool.

I live in Tucson. I go to Burning Man to cool off.

3 Likes

â™Ș Standin’ on a corner in Tucson, Arizona, ♫
♫ Such a fine sight to see! â™Ș
â™Ș A succubi, my lord, in a flat-bed Ford ♫
♫ Slowin’ down to take a look at me. â™Ș

Note: link is NSFW! (oglaf . com, a bawdy webcomic)

The playa is entirely knee-deep very sticky mud and standing water usually until June, and even then there are large areas that are unnavigable by anything short of a swamp buggy or monster truck.

Except that Google’s demographics are the result of hiring practices, not voluntary self-selection.

Despite not hailing from the home of loonie libertarianism, I’ll give it a shot:

On the face of it, you might imagine folks espousing supposedly libertarian ideals would be right into letting their hair down like this, but I’d also imagine most folks there could also be pigeonholed by the average libertarian as dirty collectivist welfare-bludging hippies who are in favour of stuff like gun control, hence the shame of sharing their fun.

1 Like

These are great! Thanks!

My point is that having outdoor festivals in places/times where it’s certain to be uncomfortable out is silly. If the playa is awful year-round, then maybe you shouldn’t have a festival on the playa.

And I’m speaking about festivals in general, not just Burning Man. Maybe Burning Man’s particular zeitgeist absolutely requires a big flat open space, and the Black Rock Desert in summer is the least awful thing going. I can dig it. But, say, here in Kentucky, I just do not get why everyone goes out and parties when it’s 90+, muggy, and swarming with mosquitoes, and then stays home and watches TV when it’s 70 and lovely.

Another thing is that, at Burning Man anyway, overcoming environmental (and logistical) difficulties is a key element of the experience. You appreciate the result a lot more when you’ve put blood sweat & tears into it. It’s not like going to the Derby. Pulling up in a big rented air-conditioned RV (sometimes with paid tour guides and catered food, these days) is not really grokking the thing.

As far as other summer festivals, that’s when bands are on tour and when college kids are on break.