Canadian libraricide: Tories torch and dump centuries of priceless, irreplaceable environmental archives

It’s only facts, data, and history, after all…

I’d have paid big bucks for the 50 volume challenger logs.

1 Like

And they do seem to have a scan of it. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources/turning-the-pages/silverlight/nhm-library.html?id=2a408320-5736-46b6-b928-a168a994f8d0

1 Like

Content/presentation disagreement now mute.

The entire 50 volume collection is actually housed at the British Natural History Museum and is actually available to view online. Not sure what the hell boing boing thinks was destroyed but it sure as fuck wasn’t the HMS Challenger collection.

1 Like

A little bit of “googling” and critical thinking can go a long way,
If this is the sort of liberal flim-flam being spouted from the “other side” then for those here, buying into this blatant propaganda there is little hope.

It’s probably best you kids go back to NaturalNews and Alex Jones if this is how you want to digest your “news”.

Hoser!

I thought Canada got cold in the Winter, but apparently it is currently 451f.

1 Like

For starters, the original HMS Challenger logs are actually housed at the British Natural History Museum. No original works or studies are being destroyed. Period.

Nice update!!

A “copy” of these logs “survives” overseas.

There are hundreds if not thousands of copies of these logs that exist. What you should have stated is that the original works were not destroyed and that the truth is that there is zero evidence the Canadian Government has destroyed any original work at all.

It was easier back in the day when books were written on bamboo slats.

I would have gone all out to support what I still think is an appalling treatment of historical documents and of science (which would have meant a couple of Wikipedia edits, yeah well I’m that kind of couch revolutionary). But now I am a little bit angry about the needless hyperbole and the shoddy fact checking, which does much to divert attention from the fact that valuable resources are actually being destroyed. So I would really like to get to the bottom of this, as my question remains unanswered, where did the Challenger bit come from? Something related to those logs must have been mentioned somewhere, but it sure isn’t in any article linked from here.

3 Likes

There’s a sean connery quote about reading books instead of burning them, but due to the movie in question I’m kindof skirting the edge of Godwin territory.

I find this mass destruction of information to be more stalinistic revisionism than anything else.

What books? We never had book here move along there iss nothing to see here. Glory to Atrotzka!

Corporatists use the willfully ignorant faith-heads to destroy knowledge, and exploit that ignorance. Welcome to the new DARK AGES!

there’s a memo aquired via a Freedom of Information Act Request at the end of this article with all of the cuts to the DFO http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/12/30/Harper-Library-Closures/

LOL,. so it is just “not true” because you choose to deny it? Is that you Stephen???

1 Like

No it isn’t, but this is exactly what I am talking about: If you are careless with your fact checking you just end up being shot down.

1 Like

You guys have got to stop trying to be like us, your downstairs neighbors.

1 Like

Since it’s the DFO and it’s ideological there is a very good chance that the reason is,

1. the seal hunt
  2. fish stocks recovery
    Both subjects the Harper Government doesn’t want to be called on.
2 Likes

Your claim that no original work has been destroyed is baseless – the DFO libraries contained a lot more than copies of the Challenger logs. We’re talking decades’ worth of research.

4 Likes