CarPlay partners announced

[Permalink]

The mistake here of course is not finding a way to license and offer either…or have the customer choose which system they want in the car. Since these aren’t swappable it could affect the resale value of the car long term.

4 Likes

Please, can’t we have a standard for this?

2 Likes

Oh man, I’m definitely buying that Ferrari now.

5 Likes

That’s what we’re getting. We’re moving from 30 different manufacturer systems down to probably 2 (Google and Apple). I suspect some auto manufacturers will attempt to hold onto their own proprietary systems (BMW?), but eventually it makes sense for this stuff to be tightly integrated with your phone hardware and ecosystem.

Several of those manufacturers that Rob lists in the Google column have already signed on with Apple as well. Honda/Acura are launching several models this year with at least a partial implementation of CarPlay.

Meanwhile, Ford has crapped the bed with its MyFord Touch system, so is moving to a different one by the Blackberry maker. Eventually they’ll see the light.

I knew I liked Audi.

OK, I’ll bite: which choice is more futury? Android or IOS influencing your car, or your car influencing your phone?

1 Like

Or have a friggin interoperability standard? For god’s sake, I’m not letting my phone dictate what car I can buy. I don’t want either of these inside.

Or, they could just have some kind of standard where your phone will connect to the in car screen over HDMI with a touchscreen response channel. Or even using some kind of wireless standard.

Don’t worry. As some people have mentioned, standards will come to the rescue just like they did for browsers. Just hope you don’t buy a corporate fleet vehicle used. It will run Windows Mobile.

Forever.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.