Chambray shirts and the blue-collar divide

Reminds me, todo: make sure that if I die there is an express wish to discourage wearing suits on the funeral invitation. No need to make it even worse. And suits are something worth hating beyond one’s grave. :smiley:

Confirming that. Black instead of khaki, some velcro mods on the thigh pockets to prevent unscheduled egress of stored stuff, big enough pockets to store a 9-inch ebook reader with a library that wouldn’t shame a provincial university.

Got tangentially involved in some project dealing with computer simulation of clothing for the purpose of custom making from a photograph. Or something along those lines. May be able to get a project branch that stresses a lot of pockets, and customization for built-in electronics, and do some early prototype tests of such functional wear. Pockets are something that’s too often neglected or at least seriously underestimated.

2 Likes

Used to carry a gun in mine. :slight_smile: .40 cal is the flavor I like.

1 Like

Whoa. That makes a hole big enough for a mouse! Must have a serious kick, too.

1 Like

You should then. I think it’s important that we try and honor people’s final wishes, whatever they are.

2 Likes

You’re not kidding when it’s small and has a polymer frame.

Pro tip: Never, ever pocket carry without a real pocket holster.

1 Like

Whoa. I envy your wrist strength! :smiley: On the range I had problems with a regular 9mm.

Thinking about a pneumatic recoil simulator, for practicing and as a VR game accessory… Saw it at a military fair and it seems like something that could be made from surplus parts of industrial robots for handling plastic parts, these are often built around solenoid valves and air pistons/cylinders.

Why? Tends to snag, or do the edges eat through the pocket lining like screwdrivers love to do?

1 Like

A pocket holster contains the muzzle and frame beyond the trigger well. In day-to-day life, it’s amazing how much we lean on things with different shapes. You don’t want a trigger accidentally pulled.

(And, yeah, it’s easier on the pockets themselves, but there’s a primary reason and then there’s the other stuff.)

Ahh. Very true that. (Shouldn’t the safety be engaged and, if possible, the hammer spring deenergized? (Does the Walther PPS even allow that?) Or is that an overkill or too onerous/slowing down?)

(Applies to other devices too; pocket-storable electronic things should have molly guards around at least the important switches.)

1 Like

The PPS is double action only, so there is no uncocked state. Additionally, the only safes are a drop safe integral to the firing pin, and a trigger safe, Glock-style. Pulling the trigger fires the gun, unless it’s not chambered.

Omg this. I had a new dish washer installed lasted year and half my guests have turned it on by leaning on it. Some have done this dozens of times. And that is just a dishwasher, and we laugh.

A gun? Very little laughter.

1 Like

3d-print or mold from polycaprolactone or epoxy putty something that can be glued to the front panel where the critical switch is.
Same principle as here:

My ebook reader, with a raised power button on the top edge, needed just a length of thick wire shaped to a cage around the button and hot-glued in place. No more accidental push when in the pocket. Same with a L-shaped piece of sheetmetal over the edge buttons. Still easy to control, but virtually immune to undesired operation.

Sounds a bit suboptimal, safety-wise, to me. Is there a benefit to such design?

2 Likes

The classic reasoning is that it’s extremely difficult to train a person to think logically in a bad situation. One of the commonest things to go wrong when a cop needs a gun is for the cop to forget to remove the safe.

Therefore, many law enforcement and military-type weapons only have external trigger safes and sometimes grip safes.

Gun nerds frequently follow military/enforcement logicking, so weapons like Glocks, with nothing more than external trigger safes, are ubiquitous on the hips of cops here in the States, and in many gunnies’ closets.

Makes sense. Different weights on the same risk model yield different solutions.

One of my random thoughts is a betablocker autoinjector in the gun butt. If the bad situation takes some seconds, one could suppress the body’s adrenaline-mediated stress reaction this way. Betablockers are used to suppress panic attacks, and also e.g. virtuoso musicians use them as a doping for competition events.

1 Like

Oh, you. Show me you’re serious with a prototype.

1 Like

Nothing difficult, just refill an epi-pen or that military atropine one. The rest is mechanical matching to the weapon.

The meat of the problem will be in designing the proper testing protocol to find out how much merit the idea actually has, if it really works. And then the actual testing. How to get the test subjects stressed high enough like if their lives are in stake, so they would have the same level of somatic stress reaction and the same brain fog. Then split them to real and control group. (Three groups. Betablocker with autoinjector, inert (saline filled) autoinjector, and no action to do at all.)

1 Like

When I was in school, someone did this for her 9th grade science project, using her mother (a concert performer) as the subject. Now, she didn’t quite put it the way you did – more like “do beta blockers affect performance anxiety” or some such. The science project may have been first, I’m sure it was in the top 3 (not sure how the mother’s performance was).

1 Like

Today is Friday, and I’m wearing a Phish tshirt, jeans and Chuck Taylor’s to the office.
And I never put on long pants on the weekend if I can avoid it. Or socks. In fact, I’m not wearing socks right now.
HOWEVER, I don’t go to a wedding or a funeral without at least a shirt and tie, usually a suit. Just the way I was raised.
At my wife’s company Xmas party last year, it was sit down dinner and all that - I don’t think it’s appropriate to wear casual clothes to that kind of thing. Most guys at least put on a tie and all the ladies dressed up.
I don’t wear one to interviews anymore, as pretty much every office is casual here, but I do wear pants and a dress shirt.

1 Like

The only tie I own has cartoon pigs doing unspeakable things to each other all over it, so I don’t ever wear it. In my circles, ties are almost completely absent. Mine is not a churchgoing family, so memorials and funerals, while solemn as appropriate, do not have to meet anyone’s standards but the decedent’s, so we dress reasonably nicely and soberly and those who like to wear them wear ties.

I’m lucky enough to work in an industry that doesn’t expect or require business attire, even (or especially) at recreational functions. On the two or three occasions I went to the Emmys, I wore a rented tux.

As for weddings, if I’m not part of the wedding party, I’ll just wear a nice shirt and my best jeans. Nobody’s ever given me side-eye for that (there are bigger fish to fry at any given wedding than the quiet dude in the seventh row wearing jeans), but maybe I’m lucky to have my eccentricities tolerated. At any rate, the people who know and love me don’t look for me to wear a knot of cloth around my neck as a show of respect.

But I always wear long pants and socks. I’m a grown man, after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I get away with jeans and some sort of button shirt at work though tshirts are okay. Very few managers wear ties anymore.
I am in need of a new suit but haven’t had the need to go get a new one so yeah. I have a few ties but my favorite is Pez dispensers. If I didn’t take the big ass scooter to work most days I would get myself a new and actually fits me Utilikilt to wear instead of jeans and bike boots.

Couldn’t the Utilikilt be redesigned to be scooter-compatible? Whether altered or designed from scratch to the set of requirements?