Chambray shirts and the blue-collar divide

More fitting them into the overpants effectively/comfortably. Then I would also have to stash shoes to change into at work.

1 Like

Just so you know, this article set off a Simon and Garfunkel binge. I was up till 3am listening.

Scarborough Fair - and Paul - PAUL are you listening?!?! It’s bo-rah; not bo-roh. Still no fing apology.

Along the same lines, I’ve read that a button-down collar means it’s a “sport shirt,” but not a dress shirt. I guess all of this dates back to a time when people even dressed well when they went hunting (IIRC, what a sport shirt was for). Before I learned this, though, I’d worn ties with button-down shirts, and no one pulled a knife on me for it. And I guess someone at The Gap talked William Burroughs into this mismatch:

Wearing a tie with a button down is totally fine, but you’ll want a button down collar wide enough for the tie. A lot of button downs these days are really small collars and won’t fit a tie because whoever made it wanted it to be 100% casual. But if you look at old golden age Hollywood dudes and other older gentlemen a ton of them wore oxford cloth button downs with ties.

Yeah, found that one out the hard way – I don’t think I knew any better and just wanted to pair a white shirt with a suit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.