China's love affair with "Country Roads Take Me Home"

I think that was probably the radio program I heard that talked about why American country music was going to be popular around the world for a long time. So much of the developed and developing world has people who used to live on the farm, or their parents or grandparents did, but they’ve moved away from their roots to the big city, far from the beautiful countryside they remember (and the hard grinding poverty of subsistence farming that made them leave, though that’s also in a lot of those songs.)

And a lot of John Denver’s music, and country music in general, is easy to sing, easy to play on a guitar, just “Three Chords and the Truth”, but enough depth and complexity in some of the melodies and harmonies to make it still worthwhile.

3 Likes

It was pretty popular in Singapore and the Philippines when I was there, and the Australians I was travelling with said it was a classic song that they enjoyed, so you may be right.

Maybe the song is about western VA, not WV?

The song is indeed ridiculously popular in Germany. I’d say 95% of people above the age of 25 know it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.