Comcast not welcome in Worcester, Mass thanks to bad customer service

[Permalink]

2 Likes

shared :smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t happen to a worse company, and by that, I mean no company is worse than Comcast :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’d argue that CCA is worse than Comcast.

It’s hard to imagine how a corporation could receive a stronger rebuke, short of an actual lawsuit. I hope this story gets lots of national attention. Although this one little town represents minimal revenue, it could deliver a major public humiliation. It would be interesting to see the reactions behind closed doors.

As a former Philadelphian I can say Comcast is not only awful to its customers; it also actively works to undermine democracy. They owned the Mayor, to the extent he very visibly turned his back on some important promises and disregarded City Council to do so. It is safe to assume they also own a fair portion of Congress.

2 Likes

Own is most likely too strong a word - very few politicians are outright ‘owned’ - most are just paid enough to be just shy of - however if the metal hits the pavement you’d find the politicians still value their own jobs over the relationship (this happens anytime public opinion becomes snarly enough) and the backpedaling would begin.

Anecdotal but everyone I know with Comcast (including myself) say the same thing - it takes 3-6 service calls to get an issue fixed, and the fact that they bully you with ‘if this problem is found to be your equipment you’ll pay 100+ dollars for the call’ which makes you pause and or not even bother with the trouble ticket.

In my fathers case - (cable modem issue) - he had a straight line to his equipment and I had to pull up the single strength on my own and show it to the comcast tech before they realized the line from the pole to the house needed replacement. That was the 4th time they had come out to fix the issue. Most of their service people anymore are hardly qualified - and they get paid by the call so instead of working to fix the issue they are incentivized to close the issue quickly and move to the next one.

Oh and he was told well over a dozen times that it was his equipment because everything on their end checked out fine - at least over the phone, it wasn’t until I showed him the signal strength on that last time that he had the confidence to call them back - because he was afraid of getting hit by a bill for the call.

2 Likes

Yipes!

Point taken.

Though it would rather spoil the rhetorical tidiness of my snarky post about ComCast to have included the following disclaimer:

2 Likes

Considering the typical consequences to a large corporation for an actual lawsuit — a trivial fine which is passed along to consumers in the following quarter — this sort of publicity may actually be worse.

I share with you a desire to see this widely publicized!

1 Like

That’s why Comcast needs to secure a monopoly—that way, their crappy service will be “standard” by default.

2 Likes

Hey here’s an idea - what if we told Eron Gjoni that Comcast is filled with female gamers and they hired Anita Sarkeesian to deliver training on sensitivity to womens’ issues…?

12 Likes

Brilliant!

1 Like

I’d rather hear the news that Worcester (and every other municipality) decided to allow any and all cable companies access to the town. These contracts between cities and cable companies are exactly what allows companies like Comcast to suck with little fear of consequences (at least in the short term).

However I assume these contracts only exist because the cable companies insist on them. They don’t want to run miles of cable if they can’t be sure that all of the residents have to subscribe through them which I suppose is an understandable economic concern. I’m not sure what the solution is. Could a town afford to string up it’s own cable and then pay for it by charging cable companies who want to use them?

You know why so much of the non-industrialized world had cell phone saturation long before the U.S.? Because they never ran cable to begin with, so they didn’t need to justify the cost by hanging on to old-fashioned technology.

Running cable is expensive and often not the most efficient way.

1 Like

So Many New Cell Towers. So Many. Finally.

1 Like

Sounds to me like a lazy case of “I’d sure like to stick my neck out and start a business - but only if I am guaranteed customers!”. It is certainly not the public’s responsibility to make their venture profitable.

I prefer small-scale solutions, which make it easier for neighborhoods to create their own cells and ISPs.

The parenthetical is incorrect Comcast is not acquiring any Charter customers (in fact the opposite) but Comcast is acquiring Time-Warner customers. http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-charter-reach-agreement-on-divestitures

Every city needs to do this!

1 Like

When ATT was broken up, they were mandated to allow other companies to use their wires. I don’t know why cable companies can’t be open up to the same type of competition.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.