Congress ends federal ban on medical marijuana

[Permalink]

I raise my vaporizer and toast this provision.

7 Likes

I’ll bet $10 that most of the congresscritters voting on this didn’t have a damn clue this provision was contained in the spending measure.

I’ll bet $20 that most of the congresscritters voting on nearly every bill don’t have a damn clue what’s contained therein.

I’ll bet $30 that a nonzero number of challengers in the next election will run a campaign ad that says “Representative Smith voted to legalize marijuana” in an attempt to unseat an incumbent.

9 Likes

Big pharma aint gonna like dat! I mean they thought they had bribed, er, purchased enough congress folks to prevent that.

And a very sneaky way to uphold all those prior drug convictions and maintain the PIC.

1 Like

No, Congress did not end the federal ban on medical marijuana. The provision in this budget merely prevents the Justice Department from going after state agencies which are working to implement medical marijuana programs in a specific group of states. That’s still historic, and it will certainly lay to rest concerns which have been raised in the past from state employees and officials who were worried that they might face federal prosecution for doing their jobs. Yet still, your headline is the worst piece of hyperbole I’ve seen yet this week and frankly that’s saying quite a lot.

6 Likes

The times, they are a chaaaaaaa-ngin’… [cough, cough, hack, hack]…

2 Likes

Well, you did join an hour ago, so I wouldn’t have expected any inferior hyperbole to have excited your posting to such a degree.

4 Likes

Here’s the text:

“Sec. 538. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana.”

Not sure why it doesn’t just say “with respect to any US state or the District of Columbia”. That might have been simpler and possibly more sensible.

Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming…

2 Likes

Crap, now to harass state medical marijuana programs the Feds will have to go steal more civil asset forfeiture funds, funds not covered by the budget bill :-0

2 Likes

♪ I’ve been everywhere man ♪

1 Like

Damn - beat me to it!

1 Like

Huh. Who’s ever heard of those places? :smile:

The original lyrics are a brilliant Aussie patter song. And for all his greatness, The Man In Black wasn’t the greatest at that.

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to see Lucky Starr perform it for my 28th, and despite moving slowly, he still nailed it.

2 Likes

Congratulations, pot lovers ! I am glad that there is one les obstacle for the use of medical pot. Now you can heal your ailments (especially the serious ones like cancer, malaria, genetically transferred diseases and other debilliating ilnesses) in purely natural way. Surely the weed has far more healing power than kombucha, aloe, green tea…
And did i mention it ? Tars created by burning your favorite plant matter are healing too unlike nasty carcinogenic tars created by burning tobacco…
Ok. sarcasm ends here. Now seriously:
For better mood i stay with occasional glass of wine. For healing i am the fan of evidence based medicine. I even accept that pot may have some anesthetic effect and may be usable in paliative therapy - but that is scientists job to do and if they create some medication baset on it it will be 100% prescriprion based and i am 1000% sure that it wil not come in smokable form. So have a nice day and stay skeptic !

I have a vague memory of Norman Gunston doing it but I may be mistaken. If so, just leave me with my memories…

Awesome Farrelly Brothers version over at:

1 Like

Yes, and I don’t recall seeing my state (PA) being mentioned, so as far as I’m concerned, this isn’t the revolutionary change in thinking that some are believing it to be.

Snrk, give DC any rights? Congress still has to approve DC laws and they like to remind them who’s in charge. They just denied DC’s new medical marijuana law specifically. (Actually some ambiguity, because the Congressional action refers to “enact” instead of “enact or implement”.)

2 Likes