Congressman asks if women could swallow cameras for gynecological exams before abortion

Ok, how do ya explain this then (NOTE: VERY VERY VERY UNSAFE FOR WORK; people will want to know what you’re laughing at):

You can fast forward to about 12:30.

Astrology can’t be any worse than homeopathy. I mean, starlight and planetlight actually do have a countable number of photons in them.

And the UK has HOMEOPATHIC FUCKING HOSPITALS that are funded by the NHS. Which makes my fucking head asplode.

How the hell do they treat someone coming in with, I dunno? Ebola? Do they try to give them sub-molar-diluted sulfiric acid because it would “anti-unmelt their organs”?

1 Like

I first thought it is a satirical piece.
But the reality became a satire on itself.

1 Like

This is the BEST takedown of homeopathic “remedies” evar!!1! :exclamation:

I am unworthy to share these forums with you, but dammitohell, I’m gonna ride this horse 'till it drops!

2 Likes

No, we have observed them crossing to our side of the Atlantic with growing concern.Generally speaking the “Conservative means back to the 14th Century” wing of the Conservative Party has tended to keep its mouth shut except in private, but as craziness in the US has become the norm and shown electoral acceptability, they are becoming less restrained over here. Basically, we’re trapped between Islamic crazies and Christian crazies, and the only difference is that one of them uses bombs and guns while the other just seeks to deny access to healthcare for poor people. My guess is that the death rate from either cause would be comparable.

You don’t think they let these people near Ebola patients? Homeopathic hospitals were basically there as placebo effect - you send along people who basically have little wrong with them but are hypochondriacs, and you give them sugar solution instead of oxycontin. Death rate lower, cost probably lower.
However our death panel - NICE - has determined that ordinary GPs giving people placebos works just as well as homeopathic hospitals, so despite the support of the Royal Family (medical degree count zero), they are on the way out.

1 Like

I think @shaddack’s point is that abortifacients are serious medicine, with side effects that range from unpleasant to serious and life-threatening. They aren’t what you might call “part of a healthy breakfast.” But shaddack’s use of the word healthy was probably a poor choice - it just doesn’t make sense in this context. Abortifacients are no more “unhealthy” than a pregnancy could be called “unhealthy” so engaging in a debate about which one is more healthy is pointless.

1 Like

I liked the post, but I do not like Republicans on rape.
It looks like some of them could find quite a lot of common ground with ISIS/Daesh.

1 Like

I have been looking for the video of this for a long time but can’t find it. It was a CNN special (I think) with Christiane Amanpour (I think) with an audience that had far-right extremists (Christians and Muslims) and some moderates all together to discuss extremism or something. In the end, the extremeists were basically admiring each other’s extremism and the crowd began laughing at them and their complete lack of self-awareness.

I hope to find the video somewhere… I might dig for it again today…

EDIT:

OK, here it is. It was abc news, not CNN:

The debate starts here:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/town-hall-debate-americans-fear-islam-christiane-amanpour-11787545

Wow, I’m rewatching part of it again. Amazing show… I just now realized I never got to see the entire episode. I’ll have to watch all of it later tonight…

Christiane Amanpour fricken rocks.

Edit: You should probably start with this intro link that gives the backgrounds of the guests on the show before the debate starts:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/town-hall-debate-setting-debate-should-americans-fear-islam-debate-setup-christiane-amanpour-11787537

I’ve also created a new thread so hopefully others here will see this:

3 Likes

Please do.

1 Like

Tylenol is serious medicine. Are you aware of that? As a medicine, it’s probably more dangerous than any abortion pill. It’s pretty easy to OD on.

And yet, huh, no one ever really seems to give a shit about that. Wonder why.

2 Likes

People talk about the dangers of acetaminophen a lot, actually.

3 Likes

On a side note, N-acetylcystein (NAC) is an antidote against acetaminophen poisoning. (It replenishes glutathion which must be available; if its supply in liver is exhausted, acetaminophen metabolizes through another pathway into a hepatotoxic metabolite.) This also explains why acetaminophen toxicity is potentiated by alcohol, as glutathion is consumed by metabolizing ethanol as well. NAC is also an OTC cough remedy, and is present in OTC hangover remedies (together with B vitamins and other stuff).

So in case of worries about acetaminophen I’d suggest combining it with NAC.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

Yet it’s never going to be not OTC. That would be ridiculous. That would never happen.

Can you suggest a particular source of NAC? I’ve never heard of it as a cough remedy in the US.

Trade names are said to be “Acetadote, Fluimucil, Mucomyst, Parvolex” according to wikipedia, and “Mucomyst, NAC, Acetadote, Mucomyst-20” according to drugs.com. Here in central Europe it often goes by the abbreviation “NAC”.

It is primarily a mucolytic agent, an expectorans.

Should be one of the most-generic generics, easy to synth, and pretty cheap (as meds go). I buy such meds by asking pharmacists for the chemical name, in the cheapest-per-unit brand and packaging.

It’s prescription only in the US. Of course it is - we’re the country that ADDS acetaminophen to opoids in order to “discourage” abuse, aka “kill you slowly and painfully via liver toxicity if you take too many Vicodin.”

2 Likes

UGH?!? Can you order e.g. from Canada?

Or maybe use some of the hangover remedies that may be OTC and are often based on NAC?

…and there are politicos here that worship the USA as a Beacon Of Freedom… even Russians weren’t such restrictive.

Or just order from Amazon, or go to a health food store.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nac+supplement&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=39527107&ref=pd_sl_8woyyjss03_e

I’ll have to look into it, though keeping an illicit remedy for acetaminophen overdose is eclectic even for my medicine cabinet. OTOH I do have quite a bit of Vicodin and have been known to use a big dose before tattoo work; I don’t have anything planned in the near future but I’m idly curious what an ideal dosing schedule might be in order to get pain relief but combat hepatoxicity.

(The most common risk situation I run into is people drinking a lot, then taking a whacking great dose of Tylenol for a headache, or taking Tylenol, then later drinking a lot. I don’t know what the critical threshold of interaction is but as liver damage is quite awful, I wouldn’t mind knowing how to add prophylactic NAC to the mix to keep people safe.)

Yes, that’ll work too.
I was wondering how such simple, non-psychoactive molecule could be problematic…

Think about it as a cough remedy that’s a little dual-use. Nothing illicit on it.

Like table salt, that’s quite worse to have around - you can make chlorine from it.

I am not in mental state good enough to look stuff up now, scatterminded and sleepy, but my rough guess is to go with a dose some time before the other thing (half hour to hour, or so?) so the liver has time to build up glutathione. But not too much time to burn it on something or to let the thing be used elsewhere instead. Even that may be too conservative, and just a simultaneous dose should be good enough; as a poisoning antidote it is still somewhat effective even if given quite later. Or play both side of the hypothesis, get a half dose a hour before, the rest with the other pills?

There is quite some body of literature out there to review.

There was (is? is not? I have old data, they may have ended it) limit on per-purchase amount of acetaminophen in Ireland. When I needed to stock up a few years ago, because of a scheduled trip without guaranteed pharmacy access (I trusted myself about not self-poisoning more than about my ability to find a pharmacy in an unknown area) and feeling sick, I had to go through the cashier about three times.

The combination of agents is an existing strategy.

Check also the original sources linked from there.

1 Like