Decoding the mysteries of the 'Codex Seraphinianus,' quite possibly the weirdest book in the world

[Permalink]

It says something about the human psyche that the guy goes ā€œI made the book extra weird for fun, it doesnā€™t mean anythingā€ and people wonā€™t believe him and insist that it must have meaning.

9 Likes

You know, just looking at the picture shown from his work; it s really obviously got a lot of Foucault behind it - books as ā€œbed of knowledge (Maybe some Kafka there as well)ā€, the constraint and penetration of the body by a territorial ā€˜scientiaā€™ , by the disciplines. The figures in the foreground showing the re-construction of a sense of self after objective vivisection. The hats seem like a symbol of participation mystique for the experienced professional - they are rhizomatic, he is mycologically connected to all other professional disciplines.

1 Like

The link to the Dangerous Minds article is broken and Iā€™m eager to read it.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree with you more. Sometimes art has no conscious meaning for the artist, itā€™s simply enjoyable to make.

Googled some of the quoted text from dangerousminds.

Thereā€™s a great informational site on the Codex here:

and you can pre-order your copy of the new version on Amazon for just $75! Oct. 29th release date, Iā€™m very excited to finally get my hands on a hard copy.

You could have looked at the page source: <a href="<a href="http://dangerousminds.net/comments/codex_seraphinianus_a_new_edition_of_the_strangest_book_in_the_world">

Thereā€™s a delux version as well. ā€œAn extraordinary and surreal art book, this edition has been redesigned by the author and includes new illustrations.Deluxe numbered, limited edition of 300 w/signed printā€

Or, you know, Xeni could fix her html.

1 Like

Iā€™d be inclined to agree with you, but then the interviewee in the linked article says the author is finally averring that he was interpreting telepathic transmissions from a stray white cat. Though viewed from your stance, this could be interpreted as ā€œtelling them what they want to hear and just extending the weirdo bafflement that I manufactured because I just like weird stuff.ā€ which makes a lot more sense, actually.

It seems more likely that the cat thing is a myth, but *what if he * actually believes it?!
zomg what if thatā€™s actually what happened!!!1!!1!!!

I bought the Franco Maria Ricci edition for around 200 euro a few years ago. Itā€™s gorgeous (and big!), but properly it ought to be in two volumes.

Seems inspired by the Voynich manuscript to me -

2 Likes

You can be certain Amazon will run out of copies almost immediately after release. Another alternative is to pre-order through Rizzoliā€™s website:
http://rizzolibookstore.com/title/codex-seraphinianus/
http://rizzolibookstore.com/title/codex-seraphinianus-deluxe/

After looking at the preview fragment visible on Amazon: Very much so.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.