Democratic lawmakers share a squalorous house in DC

[Permalink]

Durbin shares the house with Chuck Shumer and George Miller, amid dusty, filthy and disused furnishings dating back to the 1980s.

That’s nothing: I hear some of the furniture in Obama’s house dates back to the 1780s.

39 Likes

Dick Durbin is a Senator from Illinois. Not a Congressman from California.

4 Likes

The house was once the family home of Dick Durbin, but when his wife and family relocated to his California district.

Durbin is from Illinois. Miller is the one from California.

4 Likes

Clear in the article, but mangled in the post:

The house was once the family home of Dick Durbin, but when his wife and family relocated to his California district.

THIS…is CNN.

Fah. Amateurs.

The couch in my living room, I remember sitting on in a family friend’s house around forty years ago.

5 Likes

“We’re not afraid of the burglars,” Miller said, “because we’ve been burgled twice and they took nothing.”

Note they left microphones in there.

11 Likes

lawmakers share squalorous “House”… of representatives. ziing!

4 Likes

Slumming

1. To visit impoverished areas or squalid locales, especially out of curiosity or for amusement.
  2. To endure conditions or accommodations that are worse than what one is accustomed to.
2 Likes

Or maybe the burglars realized that the house was occupied by congresspeople and left it alone out of professional courtesy.

21 Likes

CNN is not a news organization anymore, it is an entertainment network.

3 Likes

Man, I thought this was only a problem for freshman Senators.

1 Like

What’s the difference between “squalorous” and “squalid”?

I’m not sure how seriously to take this article, since it could be spun in so many ways…

1 Like

They went around town putting up fliers for their “Totally awesome kegger!” rent party.

I’m having a hard time thinking of a piece of furniture in my home that wasn’t either handed down or set out on the curb for trash collection. seriously, I think I have an Ikea lamp I bought new, that’s it.

How is this not an Onion article? Does CNN have a satire section now?

Are they rinsing Congress fort accommodation expenses? Cos our MPs would cheerfully write themselves up for a night in a bloody squat if they could get away with it…

And, it’s bad at that too.