Discussion of 'Racist' origin of 'Taking the Mickey'

Continuing the discussion from Artist steals top 1-inch piece of England's tallest mountain:

Let’s move the derailing over here. And from the first post, too!

@falcor - wanna move all the other ones here too?

Oh, I think it’s on topic over there.

Ah, the unimpeachable Urban Dictionary.

Great source.

1 Like

@daneel. Let someone argue their own points. Please, I’ll gladly argue with you another day. Ta.

I haven’t found any other sources that agree with UD.

These two align with the Cockney-rhyming-slang (CRS) origin of “Taking the Mickey Bliss”; the latter cites a first appearance in print to the 1930s.

This makes the UD article (Bing cache, since work web-blockers block that kick) problematic, in that is speculates that “Britons have been using this figure of speech for decades, if not centuries.”

Discussion of UD article vs other sources: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6447 (Trigger warning: people referencing ngrams and other linguistic terms).

This thread cites Partridges Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional Language - a thoroughly enjoyable read, btw - which also holds to the CRS origin.

So, my verdict? Anybody trying to claim “That’s racist!” is being disingenuous, or trying to slip you a mickey so you won’t notice.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Artist steals top 1-inch piece of England's tallest mountain:

It’s got a good handle on where to smoke pot in the towns around here. Other notable town traits not so much.

I answered here, as the other thread seemed like it should be focusing on another subject.

Taking the @OtherMichael might be a less offensive replacement.

3 Likes

Depends upon who you’re talking to…

1 Like

So according to UD, if someone takes the mick, it’s OK to throw a paddy about it.

2 Likes

You’re even allowed to trot to the bog to relieve yourself, but no so often that you become known as a “bog-trotter.”

1 Like

##Internet Sleuths Discover Rarity: A Cockney Idiom That Lacks Offensive Etymology

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 690 days. New replies are no longer allowed.