Don Joyce of Negativland, RIP

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Oh no! That’s very sad news! Negativland is/was excellent!

3 Likes

Another touchstone to the eighties lost. I feel rather sad.

2 Likes

That’s sad news. I have always found his work to be an inspiration. I met Don once in Massachusetts around 1992, where he demonstrated much kindness and patience in dealing with me. I was interviewing Negativland at short notice (an hour?), stoned out of my gourd. I was a fan in awe and when my stupid questions were making Mark angry, Don took over since he knew that I was trying not to cry. We had a fun and interesting conversation.

Anybody interested in arts as communication, and vice-versa, and the possibilities of radio would do well to check out his work.

4 Likes

The U.S. uses six time zones, not four. Nine including territories. China uses one. So it’s a pretty useless measure of how big a country is.

1 Like

Very sad news indeed. I haven’t listened to much OTE lately, and I feel negligent for it.

The full Negativland FB post Pesco links to mentions that the entire 34 year run (5000+ hours of show) will soon be on the Internet Archive.

That is definitely a gift. Thank you, Izzy Isn’t.

4 Likes

And I still haven’t found what I’m looking for :frowning:

6 Likes

Also: Receptacle Programming. F-me genius.

2 Likes

Dear Casey, this might seem like a strange request, but I’m quite sincere, and it’ll mean a lot if you play it. Recently there was a death in our family. He was from a little band called Negativland…

This one’s for you Don!

7 Likes

It’s not even funny…

3 Likes

I am a man with one finger on his hand…

This in the same week we lost Dieter Moebius.

1 Like

Ahh, fuck. That hits me hard both as a huge Negativland fan and Contra Costa County native.

What a huge loss from a hugely important group who’s genius was well ahead of their time.

1 Like

But the Soviet Union has 11! That’s still, like, numbers more than the US!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.