Fox News leaks juror details, forcing resignation in Trump case

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/fox-news-leaks-juror-details-forcing-resignation-in-trump-case.html

18 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

32 Likes

Arrest the Fox host with the punchable face! (Sorry, I guess I should be more specific.)

39 Likes

Good job Fox, now the New York AG is going to be breathing down the back of your necks

27 Likes

To Fox News the only “unbiased” juror is one who is biased in favor of Trump.

20 Likes

Not just Watters. Get his producers, too.

Six months in prison for contempt of court. And arrests for every Fox (and OAN and Newsmax) host and producer who tries to get jurors or witnesses killed.

36 Likes

Lordy, I hope so

11 Likes

There is absolutely no news value in providing that level of detail about her, other than to help MAGA thugs identify her and intimidate her. Full stop.
You wanna talk in broad strokes about the makeup of the jury in the first ever criminal trial of a criminal former president? Fine - that’s legit news. But how does pointing out that precise details like where a juror lives, her occupation, marital and family status (plus the fucking occupation of her fiance) further the understanding of this criminal defendant and the state’s attempt to hold him responsible for his crimes?
You know what I learned about that juror from legit news outlets? That she is a nurse. That’s it.
I don’t know what the judge can do - if anything - but I hope he was serious when he said he would not tolerate any attempt to intimidate members of the jury.
This is 1000% what the scumbags of Fox are doing, on Donald’s behalf, and they need to stopped.

45 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

18 Likes

From Tuesdays Washington Post:

The “second” juror is described as follows:

This juror is a native New Yorker and has lived on the Upper East Side for the past three years. She said she did not really have an opinion about Trump and that “no one is above the law.”
“I didn’t even know I was walking into this,” she said.
She gets her news from the New York Times, CNN and Google, and she has a Facebook account. She’s been an oncology nurse for 15 years, is not married and has no children, but she lives with her fiancé.

Did Fox reveal more than the Post?

17 Likes

Have y’all got special organised crime/terrorism courts for situations like this? Because that seems like an appropriate step for this organised crime syndicate.

17 Likes

The WaPo doesn’t count on stochastic terrorists as a core audience segment.

14 Likes

Same here. Why would anyone involved disseminate any more than that outside of the courtroom? And who was it?

6 Likes

something to read with a jaundiced eye.

Before the trial began, Mr. Trump asked that the potential jurors not be made aware of the secrecy unless they expressed specific concerns. In a letter to the defense and prosecution, Justice Merchan said that the court will “make every effort to not unnecessarily alert the jurors” to the decision to withhold their names. Instead, he added, the potential jurors would be informed that they’d be identified in court by the number printed on their jury summons.

absent this guidance, some prospective jurors publicly identified their tiny employers…

8 Likes

The press is doing a fine job doing what I thought von Clownstick’s goons would be doing. The press needs to lay off harassing dismissed jurors. They did their civic duty. If one of them wants to talk with you, let them find you.

14 Likes

Maybe a gag order on the network?
Sure, they probably wont give a shit about fines, but pulling a broadcast license will cost.

8 Likes

Just throw anyone involved in this to jail, every single one of them. This is pure intimidation. There is no other explanation.

10 Likes

So, folks who are not lawyers but know something more than nothing…is this illegal?

2 Likes

I’m surprised that it’s not set out legally for trial participants: Thou shalt not doxx thy jurors!

6 Likes

Responsible trial coverage has always been about finding a balance between transparency in the process and anomynity for the individual jurors. So it’s not unusual or necessarily inappropriate for some basic facts about the jury to be public information.

For example, it’s highly relevant to public interest to know that the jury which acquitted Emmet Till’s murderers in 1955 was comprised entirely of white men even though 63% of the citizens in the county where the crime took place were Black.

Sharing enough details about any given juror for them to be publicly identified is another matter entirely.

22 Likes