Trump’s courtroom antics come back to haunt him

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/trumps-courtroom-antics-come-back-to-haunt-him.html

18 Likes

This isn’t about the smell is it?

22 Likes

The “Party of Personal Responsibility” must be so proud of its chosen leader.

16 Likes

“He’s not going to stink up my courtroom ever again.” -Judge Kaplan (Probably)

10 Likes

Once again, I am asking for consequences. Preferably jail time.

9 Likes

“Judgement” has become a tolerated spelling of “judgment” only because of rampant misuse. It’s an example of the dictionary throwing up its hands and saying “Okay fine. I can’t stop you anyway.”

1614 — A Summons to Iudgement
1644 — Judgement and Mercy, or, The Plague of Frogges, Inflicted, Removed
1665 — An Astrological Judgement Touching Theft
1710 — A Practical Discourse Concerning a Future Judgement

Historical usage is calling you out here.

11 Likes

Ah, my bad. I had forgotten that Boing Boing is typeset and published in 17th century English.

1 Like

I thought, rather, that you appear to be labouring under the misapprehension that Noah Webster gets to tell the Commonwealth how our language works.

14 Likes

Wait, if he put up a bond, why doesn’t the proceeds go directly to the plaintiff, do not pass go.

4 Likes

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Because once something changes, it remains that way forever.

8 Likes

(source: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof)

7 Likes

Trump is un-hauntable. You could have every spirit that sprang out of the Ark of the Covenant howling behind him, and ol’ Trumpster would just plain ignore them.

1 Like

Burl Ives ladies and gentlemen! Mr. “Holly Jolly” Christmas himself! Laying into Paul Newman like Rocky laid into a side of beef.

3 Likes

Wow, that is an extremely US-centric view. Judgement is a correct spelling for English. It is the predominant spelling for the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Canada, being Canada, uses it both ways.

The US doesn’t get to have a monopoly on spelling

5 Likes

Find out has entered the chat

4 Likes

Even folk singers gotta eat.

3 Likes

Isn’t that what tolerance means? Yay us!

3 Likes

That’s how ALL spellings work, at least in English.

The revolutionary idea underlying the Oxford English Dictionary—the first full-scale attempt to comprehensively document all the words of the English language—was that it took a descriptive approach to how people used words and spellings rather than a prescriptive one. It even includes allowances for regional differences.

Jail or Gaol? Aluminum or Aluminium? Color or Colour? Theatre or Theater? They’re all valid, because they’re all examples of how people spell those words in practice.

6 Likes

they said the war was over tea and taxes. i never believed that for a second…

6 Likes