Gamer Felicia Day on Gamergate

Go away, sea lion.

5 Likes

Sorry, which concerns has gamergate put out that a person might be afraid to speak out about?

Or do you mean that a person in the industry might not want to put themselves under the GamerGate banner?

1 Like

The concerns that gaming news websites, start speaking bad about their games or other products, simply because they support the one of two side that gamergate is known for.

I don’t really see this. I mean, if someone works for a publication that gives favourable reviews to games made by their advertisers, I realize that it would be hard for them to come forward with that. But that was true before gamergate - whistleblowing is tough - and is unrelated to gamergate. If a person came out and said they were in favour of gamergate then that could be bad for them, but that’s because of the tendency for women who say they are against gamergate to suddenly be viciously insulted and threatened.

This is the KKK problem as others have said above. The KKK can’t complain that it is oppressed, even if putting "member of the KKK’ on your job application might cost you the job,.

If I had to place a bet I’d say I first heard of gamergate was through Boing Boing coverage.

But I wouldn’t say I heard it was a misogynistic movement so much as I came to that conclusion because it seems really, really obvious. The misogyny in gaming culture predates gamergate - gamergate has just been one place where it has congealed. It’s not just misogyny either, there is a segment of the gamer population who are just astoundingly toxic and the industry has no idea what to do about it - even well moderated forums on videogames are so full of hatred (usually directed at the makers of the games, but spilling off to any group you can identify and some you can’t) that they are hardly worth visiting.

The only videogame forum I could tolerate was elitistjerks, and that was because they banned people at the drop of a hat, not just for the normal stuff like threats and obscenity, but also for making unhelpful or stupid posts. In order to have a decent conversation on the topic (the forums were almost exclusively devoted to theorycrafting World of Warcraft) they had to ban people like crazy.

The only other forums I’ve experienced that are nearly as toxic as games ones are the comment sections on news articles about hot button political issues, but even the rabid partisans seem to keep things more civil than the majority of gamers who post on forums. Basically we’ve had to abandon public space to the most hateful and cringeworthy, and that’s been the case for a decade. Gamergate has gotten a lot of press, but anyone who has been around videogame culture could have predicted this.

The most thoughtful, inclusive, reasonable people I know have all logged thousands of hours on video games, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a hateful subculture that seems to have unusual reach.

8 Likes

how is it sea-lioning to answer question i’m being asked?

I first heard they were misogynistic when they began to call in death threats to women who were speaking in public. And doxxing only the women who spoke out.

6 Likes

15 Likes

i dont know how to link what other people say but this: “whistleblowing is tough - and is unrelated to gamergate” is actually not true. because in the beginning, before all the harassment started, before Anita and Wu was pulled into it. The person “exposing” the gamejournopros list, was fired and kicked out for doing so. unfortunately i’m still trying to find the article again, and will be linking it if/when i find it.

But as i’ve said before, i try to stay neutral will still figuring out everything about the subject. and have been able to find alot of pros who talk about the ethics concerns, and as found actually no threads or videos, going for misogynistic actions. except for the tweets of zoe quinn, Anita, and Brianna Wu. and i’m nowhere near, done with the shortened timeline, which i set out for.

I’m really impressed with the depth of knowledge,

I am -not- interested in her ‘‘real name’’ or any other information she would not openly disclose to us, herself.

How to explain this…

“Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.”

You can complain all day long. Or go buy a press.

1 Like

That’s a good point

1 Like

I first heard the term when Adam Baldwin coined it, in a tweet sharing and endorsing the Quinn-harassing “Five Guys” video. Having followed Quinn’s story from the beginning, I drew my own conclusions about the misogyny.

5 Likes

So the “quinnspiracy” videos from Internet Aristocrat?

@Jeepper, you’re going about this all wrong. You’re trying to find out exactly when it became about misogyny. No matter when it did or what the initial goals are, it is now about those goals and misogyny.

It’s like you’re trying to figure out exactly why the Germans wanted to invade Poland in 1939 when the rest of us want to talk about all those guys in the gas chambers. You’re missing the forest for the root system of a single tree.

Gamergate is about misogyny. If the journalistic ethics crowd wants it to be about something else then they’ve got to move away from that banner.

8 Likes

Thank you, I can now say we don’t agree.

But how are you sure if you are just compiling information on the matter?
Its not true, the harassment is the real reason why this started. After all, the original accusation, trading sex for a favorable review was a lie.
(This is the first link to the harassment of women, undeniable any way you look at it)
And if this is a lie, then even if you want to make GG about games journalism, the original accusation is baseless, it started with harassment, It started with Gjoni Lying about his ex.

Anybody who wants to take this forward as about journalism, is doing it on the back of a lie.
That’s my take.

6 Likes

well maybe that will come by indirectly, as i’ve said before, i want to make a timeline of it, with the facts and not the opinions of the different sides. because there is A LOT of stuff that many don’t know about, which would be nice to have right infront.

Exactly.

Another alternative would be attracting women to their side.

I suspect there wouldn’t be so much rage involved in the first place, if that crowd attracted women, I mean.

2 Likes

Which industry is that? I ask because I think it’s been established that I’m a pretty big games industry supporter. And my Facebook is currently FULL of my developer friends loudly decrying gamergate.

6 Likes

the harassment of zoe created all the “Quinnspiracy theory” videos, and next to that, there was the mass censorship of anything about zoe and the critic of her game, which led to some people looking into more and more, and talking more about zoe, which again gave birth to more censorship and then it became more wide.

But how is saying GG is about games journalism and that its unrelated to harassment neutral?

It isn’t.
Don’t waste our time by contradicting yourself like that, you look silly.

4 Likes