Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

2 Likes

Woo. Inspiring. Yay, glass ceiling broken, not gonna deny thatā€™s important.

Butā€¦look at the sort of people who want to vote for her.

Neocons for Hillary

More fucking neoliberal/neocon crap for 4 more years.

At least now I donā€™t have to bother getting citizenship so I can vote, so thatā€™s some money saved.

8 Likes

Just checked the results, looks like all thatā€™s good and true is screwed.

Go to fucking hell and burn, US electorate.

5 Likes

Tonightā€™s resultsā€¦ ugh.

3 Likes

As much as I donā€™t want the Republicans to win, weā€™re all better off when both parties present the best candidates and the best ideas theyā€™ve got to offer. It looks like Hillary is probably going to take the Democratic nomination, but even so I think debating ideas with Bernie Sanders made her a better candidate.

Conversely having a candidate like Trump in the race lowers the level of public discourse for everyone, and dramatically shifts the baseline by which ā€œreasonable and intelligent ideasā€ are measured.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not technically true that Hillary Clinton is a neocon. Neoconservatives are former leftists who now hate their old comrades with a blinding fury. The Clintons were never that committed to anything in the first place.

But the explanation necessary in order to describe exactly how and why HRC is not a neocon is getting longer and longer and less and less convincing. People look at her record and her proposals, people say ā€œI know that, those are the neocons!ā€ Itā€™s like, yeah sure, why not.

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe sheā€™ll stick to a word of what sheā€™s said in debates with him.

If Kasich is as good as it gets, they donā€™t have any ā€œreasonable and intelligent ideasā€, heā€™s simply not immediately repulsive. And if he becomes President, youā€™ll get 3/4 Scalias in the SCOTUS over the next 4 years, helped through congress by the likes of Cruz. And thatā€™s the best case scenario. If either of the other two were to winā€¦shudder.

6 Likes

Whereas if Trump is the best they have then itā€™s time to chalk the whole ā€œdemocratic republicā€ idea up as a loss and burn it all down for the insurance money.

1 Like

SCOTUS nominee in an hour, apparently.

Smart money says Merrick Garland, picked because he should be the easiest confirmation ever.

So he wonā€™t get one, and the GOP will be shown up as obstructivist trolls.

EDIT: seemingly confirmed now.

5 Likes

Garland announcement was surprisingly moving. Comic books, a daughter thatā€™s offline and hiking somewhere right now, and genuine humility. As someone else noted on Teh Tweeter, this first date has been quite nice, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m looking forward to the soon-to-come deep dive into his judicial past.

4 Likes

In less miserable newsā€¦

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/03/15/3760660/bye-anita/

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/03/16/3760734/tim-mcginty-ousted/

I should probably crosspost to @funrulyā€™s Black Lives Matter topic.

9 Likes

A few weeks ago, Graham said that you could kill Cruz in the Senate and nobody would care.

Now heā€™s fundraising for him.

In a few weeks heā€™ll be fundraising for Trump.

7 Likes

What a stunning display of integrity. /s

7 Likes

Integrity is an issue, of course.

But thereā€™s also the issue of simply being in touch with the average citizen. Bernieā€™s popularity and debating has no doubt made her a lot more aware of what people think outside of her inner circle, handlers and Washington and Wall Street contacts. Thatā€™ll be reflected in her policies.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure she already has plenty of studies and focus groups helping her to work out what positions will get her 50.1% of the vote in the swing states.

3 Likes

Research suggests otherwise: Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens | Perspectives on Politics | Cambridge Core

3 Likes

Also this.

Obama privately urges Dems to rally around Clinton

Obama acknowledged to the donors that Clinton suffers from a perceived lack of authenticity, but called it an overrated political virtue, the report said.

2 Likes

Another cunning stunt, by another of those stunning ā€“

6 Likes

Anyone wanna guess which way theyā€™ll go?

These young people rock. Watch the vid.

4 Likes