Godzilla (2014)

It’s like saying “I want to eat cake for dinner.”.

2 Likes

So why it’s the new Godzilla a climate change denier?

Two hours of bored, we see only rarely Godzilla, and when you see it, it’s either in the dust, or the door closes (fight scene).

I’m a pretty big kaiju fan, and I gotta say that I LOVED the new movie!!! There was PLENTY of action, and frankly, I thought they built up to the main fight sequence wonderfully. The HALO jump sequence was FREAKING AWESOME, holy crap!!! I will definitely see it again in the theater, maybe even twice more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A drunk and high Finnish film critic has written the most hilarious “Godzilla” review you will ever read.
http://mankabros.com/blogs/btp/2014/05/16/godzilla-review/

I’m just waiting to see the franchise interpreted as modern dance - fully-costumed, of course.

Despite inneffectual, the movie is roughly 70% military. Almost everything happens from that point of view. The young son of a cientist becomes a soldier.
Yes, it us not like Transformers, but it does add to a common line of movies that paint the military as a necessary force that we need to nurture. It actually paints a more humane picture of the military, our last line if defense against the unknown evil. That comes in handy when people start questioning the motivation behind the last decade of interventions.

1 Like

The monster half of the movie was great.

The whole human interest arc of the movie left me completely disinterested. If only it featured Bryan Cranston more – this is a guy who can make me sympathize with a drug lord – rather than the bland GI Joe character who doesn’t really do much except get rescued a lot.

1 Like

Nah. I appreciate your propaganda-paranoia, but the military element is just part of the genre. In this film, everything the army dudes do is wrong and in fact outright stupid (why is the nuke going to blow up San Fran? oops, they forgot that the bad monster’s EMP might cause trouble with the ordnance transport). Only Godzilla, who is actually not interested in the plight of humans and only wants to destroy his enemy, can save the day. He is accidentally good and that is the best that can happen to us gnats. That is a monster movie.

5 Likes

Way to shatter my dreams, guys.

I’m kinda bummed that this isn’t real…

1 Like

…Mothra is still real though, right? RIGHT?!

> 2014 is a giant year for pop culture.

Is it, really?

1 Like

Deeply disliked this film.

You could have shorn the first 45 minutes of the film completely and it would have made no difference at all. Bryan Cranston’s whole arc is completely unnecessary to the plot.

Also, the editing became a bit of a running joke with the group that accompanied me - “Hey guize! There’s something REALLY REALLY exciting going on off-screen. I REALLY wish you could see it. It’s really fun! How about some more military guys tromping through rubble? You watch that. I’ll be over here WATCHING GIANT MONSTERS KICKING THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER!”

2 Likes

I don’t think it is a propaganda-paranoia. I just couldn’t watch it without comparing to all other movies in that line. Maybe a side effect of a boring movie that allowed me to start thinking on other things mid-projection.
(sidenote: as a monster movie, I think Godzilla failed miserably. In that sense, I would like to see some more destruction to the level of the latest Superman movie…)

That guy’s author bio pic makes him look like Joffery’s demented child.

If only it approached “half.” I went to an 11:00 AM showing today. After the trailers, the flick probably began at 11:15. I checked my watch when we finally got to actually see Godzilla fighting the MUTOs for longer than a second or two. It was freakin’ 12:56.

This was a Godzilla movie for people who don’t like Godzilla movies. Talented, respectable actors given nothing to do but chew scenery (Cranston), worry (Olsen), look shell-shocked (Watanabe), bloviate with military jargon (Strathairn, amusingly referred to as Admiral Exposition in some review I read today), die prettily (Binoche), and stand around in a bloodshot, hangdog, neck-too-big-for-your-bomb-nondefusing-head daze (that other guy).

I have seen Godzilla movies both excellent and execrable, but this was the first time I was bored outta my freaking skull by a Godzilla movie. The much-vaunted “slow burn” was way too slow, and the payoff was much too paltry.

At least it sets up a world that knows of Godzilla’s existence, so the sequel won’t have to spend all that goddamned time teasing around mysterious seismic events and inexplicable biomass formations that intermittently glow like fossilized Hedorah-turds. The world now knows Godzilla as “King of the Monsters” and, apparently, “Savior of our City.” So just let Gigan and King Ghidorah swoop on in from outer space, have a few more of our ancient kaiju friends awaken, let the planet crack under the terrible footfalls of the ensuing battles, destroy the capital cities of the world like they started to do in Final Wars ten years ago (omitting the Power Ranger karate fighting, please), and you’d have some top shelf reboot of Destroy All Monsters breaking every box office record in the world in 2016. Or at least you’d have a movie worth watching more than once.

My advice to director Edwards: save money on the A-list talent. Spend more on the creature FX next time. Leave the soldiers and survivors picking through the aftermath-rubble to the next Saving Private Ryan. We’re not here for the thespiating, particularly since the human angle of the story was so profoundly uninteresting. We’re here for the monsters.

So listen to Watanabe: “Let them fight.”

The review of spiderman and transendence is really brilliant. I love these guys. Its not like they are rocket scientists. They are just kinda smart. Its sort of amazing that a room with three smart guys in it can effectively identify the common problems with movie making today, but these companies with hundreds of millions can’t get three smart guys in a room to figure things out.

I acknowledge that part of the problem is that the redletter guys want to watch a good movie and the studio execs want to make profitable movies. So the studio folks are therefore making really good trailers and then cobbling together a movie afterwards… But for gods sake in a world with social media, do these studios not know that you can’t produce a turd and expect everyone to go to the film anyway.

Obligatory plug for their Phantom Menace review series, which clocks in as long as the actual prequel trilogy, but is phenomenally funny and complex. Probably the best review series for any media that I’ve ever seen, if you can stomach some of the crude jokes.

I’m with you on the mystifying circumstances surrounding creating a quality movie. My wife and I were talking about the mid nineties and some of the pop culture arising then:

• Movies like Pulp Fiction, Jurassic Park, Fargo, Trainspotting, Independence Day
  • Albums in punk rock, but also the greats of hip hop: Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Big L, Jay Z started to arise.
  • Books like Game of Thrones, Fight Club, Into the Wild, Neverwhere

Not to say that we don’t have good pop culture these days, but it’s no wonder that the Hollywood movie industry is dying a slow death, right in the public eye.

Did you see Cloverfield, by any chance? I really enjoyed that, and I’m wondering how it stacks up to this movie.

yeah, the plinket reviews make me laugh until I cry every time even though the joke is always the same. How can these collections of millionaire geniuses be so stupid and incompetent… because they are.

It reminds me of something my sister said at about age 13 or so when we were watching football, “If I was getting paid millions of dollars and my only job was to catch a ball, I would catch a ball.”