Google acquires robotics firm Boston Dynamics

Seriously, though . . . how would you take one of these out? Big bullets? A shotgun, in hopes of tearing a wire?

Takeo Nomura is not amused:

Archos infects all penetrable networked electronic devices like cars, airplanes, smart homes, elevators, and other robots, with a ā€œprecursor virusā€. Before it launches a full-blown attack on humanity, it sends out probing attacks to analyze the technical feasibility of its strategies and to assess human response. The random attacks are designed to look like sporadic malfunctions of devices that humans depend on for their everyday routines. Domestic robots attack innocents, planes are intentionally set on a collision course, and smart cars start driving out of control.

Oh yeah, and this:

On the way to fight Archos in the final battle, robots animate the dead bodies with wires to use as meat-shields.

2 Likes

I guess the biggest factor would be how long their batteries last.
The weakest parts would proably be the sensors.
Iā€™d take a low-tech approach like tripwires, lassos, bolos etc., terrain they canā€™t handle well (think Daleks vs. stairs) and so on.

1 Like

I think theyā€™re propelled by small, probably diesel-powered, engines.

Amazon should ditch the aerial drone concept and run with package delivery via the forthcoming Googlebots.

1 Like

water?
sand?
heat?

Iā€™m actually kinda hopeful this gets combined with Googleā€™s X Prize as a way of google saying ā€˜we want to reach for the stars.ā€™

Leaving aside the robot army suppressing us - to be honest Iā€™m much happier it is Google and not Lockheed Martin or some other global psychopath company.

Iā€™d love to see them repurpose a lot of the tech for non-violent means. Because there could be a lot. Getting supplies into cut off areas when there are no roads in a disaster. Asteroid mining. Lunar colony running. Asteroid belt mining. Martian colony building.

What about freight? Can be build a few of these in super-large size and stop having to build massive roads into small places just so the trucks can drop off the gasoline?

ā€œDonā€™t be evilā€“let your robots do that.ā€

3 Likes

Uh, you remember what happened when someone tried to escape a dalek by running up stairs, right, right?

LEVITATE!!

Real Daleks donā€™t use stairs. Real Daleks level the building.

2 Likes

My first thought is that this will essentially end BDs involvement with DoD and DARPA. Will google really tolerate a unit that has a negotiated fee (profit margin) of just 9%, with no chance for growth within their current customer base (government and DoD)? If they can jettison the DoD-related technical staff and keep the engineering, maybe this will help them build the future of robotics in civilian life. If not, there will be some growing pains.

Good call.

If BD was a startup then Google would just buy them, shitcan the project, repurpose the talent and use the IP in the neverending war against everyone else.

Can anybody recommend a nice hotel in the Uncanny Valley area?

1 Like

I think that yā€™all are misreading their intentionsā€¦ This is going to be part of their Calico life extension project with the ultimate goal of putting Pageā€™s brain in a bipedal unit. The first project will be to create ā€œrat thingsā€ by putting pit bull brains in the cheetah frame.

1 Like

Likely theyā€™ll want to get out of the defense contracting part of it quick, but really I bet Googleā€™s whole robotics operation doesnā€™t need to make any money for them, ever. Just having work like that happening within the company is probably worth it for them for recruiting engineering talent (see also Google X). They are in a constant battle with companies like Apple, MS, Amazon for the best engineers. And geeks love robots (I have to include myself in this!).

I see no problem with mass personal information harvesting, correlating and classifying mixed in with autonomous easily lethal robots.

None.

My, but the new nasty global autocrat is going to have an easy time of it.

2 Likes

This is clearly a viral ad.

hypervelocity depleted uranium flechettes?