House leaders gut NSA-curbing USA FREEDOM Act

That’s a ludicrous reach.

Not if you’re properly educated on American history.

60 percent of Democratic Representatives voted against the Iraq Resolution while less than 3 percent of Republican Representatives voted against it. For some reason the media rarely focuses on how much dissent there was from Democrats. I wonder why?

Once again, if the American public had voted in more Democrats the Iraq Resolution would have failed.

What’s a ludicrous reach is thinking that not voting accomplishes anything. If more people had voted in Democrats, we would have avoided an extremely costly ground war in Iraq that we are paying for in lives and treasure to this day.

Iraq Resolution passed with both parties voting to invade.

Once again, you really need to educate yourself on American history. 60 percent of Democratic Representatives voted against the Iraq Resolution while less than 3 percent of Republican Representatives voted against it.

It was NOT even close to being passed equally by both parties. And there’s no evidence to show that even if someone like Obama was in office at the time that the Democrats would have voted in any less numbers. For example, when the Obama administration pushed to invade Syria, it failed to gather enough strength even from his own Democratic party in the end.

Unless you only voted for the single independent candidate, you are responsible for the deaths caused by this decision. Laying this violence on the non-voter has no merit or reason

That’s based upon ignorance as I showed you above. It wasn’t just a single independent candidate. 60 percent of Democratic Representatives voted against the Iraq Resolution while less than 3 percent of Republican Representatives voted against it.

If you abstained from voting in more liberal Democrats and didn’t vote and a Republican took over, you contributed to Democrats not having enough votes to stop that war.

Let’s forget about the fact that no matter who you voted for in the last presidential election, you would have ended up with a continuation of the wars we are currently involved in and the creation of new battle fronts.

That absolutely false equivalency.

With Obama we are not in open war with Syria and the administration listened to reason and even pulled back from airstrikes.

On the other hand, Romney said we should arm rebels in Syria and rejected the idea that they would pass the weapons on to Al-Queda (just like former Obama nutcase challenger Republican John McCain). And during the November 2011 Republican primary debate, Romney pushed towards regime change in Syria. Just like Bush/Cheney rhetoric leading up the the Iraq war, etc.

With Romney, it’s debatable if we’d have boots on the ground (but it’s likely) in Syria and we sure as hell would have already engaged them with airstrikes and arming our own enemies in Syria along with God only knows what other entanglements to perform “regime change” there. We’d at the very least be setting ourselves up for a ground war by now after Syria freaks out and declares outright war with us.

With Romney, we’d very likely be at war with Iran right now with Republicans cheering him on:

I mean, get real. We are not at war with Iran because we voted in Obama. We are not in open war with Syria. Don’t think for a second that wouldn’t mean drone strikes, because Romney heartily endorses Obama’s drone strikes:

So we’d have all the bullshit Obama is doing along with an outright war in Iran, a war in Syria eventually, Iraq war would be far more escalated under Romney (On top of his saber rattling, Romney’s key advisers included the same damn neoconservatives who championed the Iraq War, for Christ’s sake), as would escalation of the the war in Afghanistan, etc. and God only knows where else the bloodthirsty Republican status quo would push him into.

I’m sorry, but you’re speaking from ignorance when you say that Romney and Obama are the same and would continue wars we are currently involved in equally and create new wars equally. That’s simply not based upon reality.

You are a fan of a particular party.

Nope. I despise the Democratic party as a whole. But, if you don’t vote, you are by proxy a fan of the Republican party that tends to win more elections with lower voter turnout.

I’m a fan of third parties down the road booting out Democrats, but that’s never going to happen if voter turnout is low and Republicans can continue to make an absolute artform out of voter suppression, voter disenfranchisement and rampant gerrymandering of districts.

If voting didn’t matter, then why on Earth would Republicans spend so much time, money and effort to disenfranchise and suppress voting? They wouldn’t.

I assure you, my choice to not vote won’t hurt you. However, your choice to vote may very well hurt me and others.

That’s backwards. As I already said, not voting ushers in yet more politicians that take gerrymandering and voter suppression to another level and make third party penetration near impossible down the road.

The only message that “not voting” sends to Republicans is that their voter suppression campaigns are working and they should step them up for more success. You destroy the future of third parties by not voting. You hurt me and others by not voting.

The current system is clearly corrupt and in the hands of the oligarchs.

Yep, welcome to reality. And, the reality is you only further entrench them by not voting.

We didn’t get to this point with only a small percentage of the population not voting. We’ve gotten to this point with a whopping 40% of the population not voting.

We’ve tried not voting, it doesn’t work.

This is also why I told you previously I actively support this:

https://mayone.us/distribution-plan/

We are only given two choices both of which create the same end result.

That wrong and I’ve proven that to be wrong with facts.

Democratic Representatives who voted against the war vastly outnumbered Republicans.

Yet, despite how they and others voted, the result was the same, wasn’t it?

The point is that if there were more Democrats in office from people voting them in, the Democrats would have won the vote with their drastically higher percentages that voted against the war. Instead, people embraced false equivalency or didn’t vote at all and ushered in too many Republicans for the Democrats to defeat them.

And, all anyone has to do is look at the larger turnout for Obama to know that the Democratic votes were there, they just either chose to “not vote” or embraced false equivalency and vote Republican. A huge mistake in both cases that led to a costly war based upon Republican lies along with the vastly smaller percentage of bluedog Democrats and DINOs who chose to hastily believe them.

By choosing one politician over the other, you may elect someone who starts a war, spends money to shut down abortion clinics,

Um, what? As I’ve shown you with facts, Romney would have brought us back to Bush/Cheney war levels and even possibly worse. And, to equate Democrats with shutting down abortion clinics is ridiculous.

The thing is, with Republicans they’d be shutting down abortion clinics, ramping up warrantless wiretapping of American citizens, getting us into far more wars, shutting out third party hopes down the road, ramping up drone attacks… The list goes on and on.

I despise Obama and many of the status quo Democrats, but that doesn’t mean I let myself get blinded with rage and embrace false equivalency.

Those who voted for the politicians who enacted our drug laws are directly responsible for the death, misery, and suffering of the victims of laws based on a single groups morality.

I hate to break it to you, but I helped with efforts to be the first state in the nation to legalize marijuana and now we’re working on sealing all past marijuana charges. What have you done?

As someone who helped to get marijuana decriminalized in Colorado despite many unhelpful naysayer idiots from both the right and the left… I can tell you that none of this would have been remotely possible under Bush, McCain, Romney or nearly any other viable Republican for the presidency.

Obama sucks and has been worse than G W Bush on some aspects of the drug war bullshit and that’s despicable, but please stop resorting to false equivalence in frustration. Republicans love it when you do that.

We got here by voting, by the way. The non-voters only made our success take longer and people suffered in the meantime.

More here:

If you want to continue this, I suggest we move this a new thread in that vein or read through the above thread since a lot of this had already been discussed there.

4 Likes