Positive rights vs negative rights & how that may or may not apply to our current situation

Cow, you’ve distorted my arguments into something they are not. … But I will concede that I should not have said “your vote is worthless.”

I don’t think I distorted your arguments, I appears you misspoke as you’ve conceded.

I will concede that I should not have said “your vote is worthless.” Just as a penny is not worthless, a certain type of vote is not devoid of any value whatsoever. But, compared to dollars and hundreds, a penny is proportionately and figuratively worthless.

I still disagree with your premise that national voting is worth so little on that scale. While I agree with you that voting locally is vital, Presidential elections make many differences that affect all of us on a local level.

I don’t want to repeat myself as I’ve already provided evidence throughout this thread, other threads and I’ve already provided you links to posts in that vein. I suggest you read my posts and if you still can’t see how important national elections are, then I’d like to see your counter evidence to that effect.

Presidential elections make the difference between going to more wars (or not) that affect Americans (and the world, for that matter). National elections can hinder or help state law when it comes to civil rights, drug laws, health care laws, etc., etc. that have a drastic effect federally and locally.

For example, as someone who helped to get marijuana decriminalized in Colorado despite many unhelpful naysayer idiots from both the right and the left… I can tell you that none of this would have been remotely possible under Bush, McCain, Romney or nearly any other viable Republican for the presidency.

Obama sucks and has been worse than Bush on some aspects of the drug war with overzealous prosecution/persecution bullshit and that’s despicable, but there has been some critical flexibility that wasn’t there before. It’s that same critical flexibility that was crucial in having the US not entering an open war with Syria as well (or even just airstrikes without open boots on the ground).

Unfortunately, I’m just repeating myself from what I’ve already offered in previous posts within this thread, etc. - If you don’t have the time to read it, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’ve made my suppositions and I’ve backed them up with facts and evidence.

Is voting locally vital? YES.
Is voting nationally vital? YES.

We need to do BOTH.

1 Like