How your feet help you sleep

[Read the post]

1 Like

Weird. I never can seem to sleep well unless I’m wearing socks to keep my feet warm. But apparently I’m supposed to freeze them instead?

8 Likes

THIS THIS THIS. If my feet are cold I can’t go to sleep. Even in the summer I will have socks and even a blanket just for my feet sometimes.

3 Likes

If a monster eats your foot away, it helps your blood cool even faster, since it is spread all over the floor.

13 Likes

Indeed, I had the impression that “wear socks to keep your feet warm” was a staple of “how to sleep better” listicles. (That, and “how to improve your sex life” listicles, oddly enough.)

Also,

6 Likes

You don’t need to worry about monsters, that’s ridiculous.

It’s the murderer in your wardrobe you need to worry about.

(apologies to Peter Kay)

4 Likes

Just cool yown your body, robo. It’ll help you fall asleep. Keep your bedroom cool in winter and your bed warm. And if it’s warm, just get rid of the blankets on your bed.

The US Air Force has done work on how to get its pilots to fall asleep faster. They’ve found that they can help them by air cooling their cheeks. Alternately, you can not take a hot shower before going to bed.

2 Likes

The “cooling” aspect is a bit of a red herring… the point is that your feet have a sizeable effect on your overall body temperature comfort.

I’ve known for a long time that peeling off my socks is a quick and surefire way to cool down when I’m feeling a bit too warm–alas, I have a bit more trouble with the reverse when I wake up shivering in bed at 3 AM. “Get out from under the covers and put on some socks” is a bit too counter-intuitive for my sleep-fogged brain.

2 Likes

Feet and hands.

I got a heatwave here to deal with. A pair of salvaged heatsink fans aimed at the soles of my feet did a job comparable to an air conditioning unit, all for 0.4 amps at 12 volts (or less if the voltage gets throttled down when the full-on output is too much).

2 Likes

Air cooling, huh?

As it happens, I just got a Vornado thanks to Xeni’s post of the other day. I got air cooling. :smile:

Interesting. Quite often when I’m in bed and feeling a little too warm, I will instinctively poke my foot out from under the covers. Wonder if this has anything to do with what the video said. (Or if I just do it because I subconsciously learned it feels good.)

And wow, didn’t realise wearing socks to bed was such a common practice.

1 Like

Yeah, another freak here I guess. I can NOT sleep with my feet uncovered. I mean I might as well try sleeping standing up. I also can’t stand any kind of breeze. I live in a warm climate. Even in summer I can’t sleep unless something is weighing on me and my feet are covered. Here’s the odd thing, those are the only conditions. I can sleep on a stone floor, grass mat, sitting up on a plane, whatever. I just need something covering most of me, especially my feet.

1 Like

I get restless leg problems interfering with my sleep, and keeping my legs warm with an electric blanket helps me get to sleep fast and stay asleep. If it’s too warm in the room, I may need to balance it by keeping the top half of my body uncovered, but the legs have to be warm. (Seems to be a leg muscle issue more than a foot issue - socks don’t usually help, and can be annoying.)

How do listicles suggest that socks improve one’s sex life?

If I can’t stick my gnarly, grizzled feet out of the covers, it isn’t just me that isn’t gonna sleep. It is the entire neighborhood.

5 Likes

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:14, topic:62375”]How do listicles suggest that socks improve one’s sex life?
[/quote]Oh, you know, because “studies say”.

Ok… that makes for some sparse listicles.

Keep the socks by the bed? I knew someone who did that.

Totally off-topic but have you talked to your doctor about getting more iron? For a lot of people a shot of iron every so often seems to resolve the problem. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/restless-legs-syndrome/what-is-rls/treatment.html

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, we’ve looked into it. I tried taking iron supplements for a while, didn’t make a difference, but maybe a larger dose would help.