HOWTO make your own chocolate chip cookie milk-cups

[Permalink]

Cookie cups is the new Malaysia plane.

1 Like

I’d glaze with hot ganache: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-ganache/

Pour it in, swirl it around, dump the excess back into the pan, or your mouth.

1 Like

I saw a photo that looked like there was a white chocolate coating inside the cup. Maybe a thin spread of a ganache would work.

2 Likes

In our other thread on this, someone suggested an egg wash for the sealant.

1 Like

I am certain that I read in the NY Times that a baker was using a shellac coating in the cup.

I don’t know if there is such a thing as food grade shellac, or where you’d find it? But I wouldn’t want it anyway.

This, or something like this, maybe:

3 Likes

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes (pictured at right), which are dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish.

Many people may not be aware that the glaze that covers some of their favorite products – including vitamins, pharmaceuticals, candy and even some fruit – may actually be made from shellac; a resin from the secretions of the female lac insect.

When used in food and confections, shellac has the food additive number E904, and is described on food labels as ‘confectioner’s glaze’, ‘confectioner’s resin’, ‘resinous glaze’, ‘candy glaze’, ‘pure food glaze’ and ‘natural glaze’.

People asked:

Is there a vegan alternative to shellac? Of course! Zein, a corn protein, is a competitive non-animal-based product. Pure zein is clear, odorless, tasteless, hard, water-insoluble, and edible. It is already used as a coating for candy, nuts, fruit, pills, and other encapsulated foods and drugs. In the United States, it may also be labeled as ‘confectioner’s glaze’. NOTE: As well as sometimes being made from shellac, confectioner’s glaze can also contain beeswax.

I couldn’t find a source for consumers for a Zein based Confectioner’s glaze.

2 Likes

I actually just made some of these last week too. But with the caveat that they can’t be served warm, as I just lined them with tempered chocolate.

1 Like

I’m so sick of the lack of innovation in this area. I’d like to see a cup formed out of milk that holds chocolate-chip cookies inside.

Not mention sharks with frickin’ laser beams on their heads!

5 Likes

I think I’m with the gelato crowd on this one. Great innovation.

2 Likes

I’m just hoping it’s a prototype for the real project, a mug made from chocolate digestives (or ginger nuts) that can withstand a cup of tea.

Despite not being a milk-and-cookies martian, I think this is pretty neat.

2 Likes

all is lost…

Now you have me searching. All I could find was this:

http://zeinproducts.com/Our_Products.html

I guess you’d have to buy bulk, no distribution is noted. If you find any for sale anywhere, please PM me, I’d be interested in trying it.

The author of one of the earlier articles (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2014/03/dominique-ansel-milk-cookie-shot.html) said the inner glaze was similar to a doughnut glaze with some chocolate in it. So perhaps something as simple as a sugar glaze would work, so long as you don’t get them too hot when reheating.

1 Like

"Do you have any ideas? "

Bug squeezins.

I thought we had this settled.

3 Likes

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

How about a gelatin glaze? Could even be chocolate flavoured gelatin. You could use it to lightly seal the inside and cold milk shouldn’t bother it. On the other hand, instead of baking the cups you could use actual choc chip cookies that you have crumbed and add gelatin to that mix and mould your cups in the fridge. It would take away the chrunchiness (add nuts?) and maybe make it more gummy - but it should seal and be edible.

Let’s replace the bug squeezins with bits of cow feet. Yay!

1 Like

Or Kanten (Agar) if you prefer. One way or another its already in a zillion foodstuffs or used to cap your medicinals.

1 Like