Hugo's Amazing Tape: Resuable tape sticks only to itself

[Permalink]

1 Like

This is also known as Bondage Tape by people in the scene. Pretty handy stuff, and it doesn’t pull out hair or leave sticky residue.

3 Likes

A tape that sticks only to itself, huh?

Seems useless for the picture-advertised usage of repairing a hose - without adhesive to keep it in place, it will just twist and slide around the hose. That and it won’t produce a seal at the point of rupture.

The other usages mentioned in text seem reasonable, though. Just an odd image to include.

It looks like silicone tape – it is “tacky”, but not “gluey”, so it does stay in place… I have used thicker silicone tape to fix a leak on a hose – just wrap it tight enough and it stays in place.

2 Likes

Silicone tape has no adhesive and only sticks to itself, and it’s fantastic for hose repair. Works on blazing hot metal pipes, too, as I learnt from experience. Adhesion is not necessary to achieve a seal (counter-intuitive, I know, but empirically true).

Silicone tape is not very reusable, though. After a couple of days it kind of melts together fairly permanently.

2 Likes

Are you talking about ordinary silicone tape, that you can buy at any neighborhood Harbor Freight? Seriously? http://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-10-ft-self-bonding-super-tape-68401.html
Do you not get out much?

1 Like

Dude, relax - they’ve talked about rescue tape before. My experience with that type of tape is that it’s basically permanent, whereas this tape claims to reusable.

1 Like

No no.

No no no.

This is HUGO’S silicone tape. It’s all blue and it’s Hugo’s and everything. Well worth triple the price.

Actually 2 inch wide by 50 feet long for $12 is quite reasonable for silicone tape.
Getting the equivalent amount of @art_carnage’s Harbor Freight tape 1 inch x 10 feet per roll would cost: $40
As @bartitos pointed out different product/application than self-fusing silicone tape.
Hugo’s looks much thinner and I’m assuming that it doesn’t self-fuse – which means that I doubt that it is very good at repairing leaking hoses.

1 Like

Came here to say that I’ve played with some excellent things contained within this tape.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.