Jason Momoa's winning Game of Thrones audition for Khal Drogo

[Permalink]

Is there a reason heā€™s performing the All Blacksā€™ haka?

3 Likes

Woah. Did not expect a Haka, but it makes a lot of senseā€¦

1 Like

Wow he really bulked up for the role. He was one of the better characters and I miss the big lug.

I figured his audition would be more like ā€œHi, Iā€™m Jason Momoa and Iā€™m probably the only guy my size and shape who looks good and has done professional acting work who isnā€™t Dwayne Johnson. I look forward to hearing back from you.ā€ (drops the mike)

5 Likes

He mispronounces quite a lot of itā€¦and cultural appropriation is a very contentious thing. It is thought that Maori, who settled NZ around the 14th century, originally came from Hawaii though.

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
Ā, upane! ka upane!
Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!

IIRC the Hawaiian word for the Hawaiian people is Kanaka Maoli (Maori and Maoli being cognates).

Iā€™m not sure about the direction of the Polynesian migrations, thoughā€¦

ā€œHawaikiā€ not Hawaii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiki

Pretty good choice of audition material really - couldnā€™t exactly pull out a Shakespeare soliloquy for that role and Ka Mate is probably the best known piece in the genre. Does give the impression that he picked up what he could off a youtube vid of the All Blacks (Itā€™s no Kapa Haka Nationals performance) but it does show what he was bringing to the character Drogo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.