Watch Chewbacca talk to Han Solo in Cockney English

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/06/watch-chewbacca-talk-to-han-so.html

7 Likes

they actually got the tail slate right.

3 Likes

Makes Chewbacca even more awesome, don’t know why they dubbed him.

21 Likes

Obligs…

3 Likes

Here he is in another scene.

7 Likes

I was most impressed that the “welding” wasn’t added in post.

12 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

12 Likes

I know! This is now my preferred version of Star Wars. Time for a new remaster, I say!

5 Likes

“Cockney” is the name of a specifically London pronunciation, which Americans famously have difficulty reproducing (c.f. Dick Van Dyke, in Mary Poppins). Peter Mayhew sounds like he’s talking pretty much Standard English, to my New Zealand ears. Wasn’t he originally a Yorkshireman?

4 Likes

Barnes, in West London / Surrey, Wikipedia says, so London but not Cockney, which is specific to part of London.

5 Likes

Now let’s hear the unedited footage of Kenny Baker cursing up a storm from the inside of that can.

13 Likes
10 Likes

Same guy. Nice crossover. +1 point for you.
k6YwK63Hi5JAoGmSnFFrDCWTjew

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered if Wookie is a simpler type of romance language or something more nuanced and complicated like Japanese?

1 Like

Maybe… but they went the right direction dubbing over David Prowse (Sorry man, I still love you.)

7 Likes

It’s one of those spoken languages that depends on body language for context and emphasis. For example, in High Wookiee the imperative is expressed by ripping the arms off the person you’re speaking with.

12 Likes

I always wondered why they were called Wookies and their planet Kashyyyk if they couldn’t pronounce the “K” sound…

2 Likes

So, eminently polite, like Japanese?

1 Like

Lucas initially wanted Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan or Vader.

Trapped in a starship with a cockney wookie…
have a cuppa tea, have a cuppa tea…

1 Like