Ewoks without fur are absolutely terrifying

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/15/ewoks-without-fur-are-absolute.html

4 Likes
2 Likes

They eat people. Ewoks are terrifying.

17 Likes

I’m embarrassed by how long it took me to realize that “Ewok” is just a play on “Wookie.” Damn you George Lucas!

12 Likes

Oh fuck. I was THIS years old :astonished:

15 Likes

I think what’s more disconcerting is that Warwick Davis never seems to age.

4 Likes

Yeah. They really put the wok into Ewok.

4 Likes

Naked_Tickle_Me_Elmo_Scary

11 Likes

Maybe we are just Ewoks without fur…

8 Likes

All this time I thought it was a play on the name of the Miwok, the indigenous people who inhabited the region of California where Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch is now located.

8 Likes

Any and all Star Wars flicks have become horrifying after watching The Phantom Menace. I hate the lot of them now.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this factoid, and it seems quite plausible. I don’t claim to know the facts here; my “revelation” about the species name came about randomly when I was thinking about Star Wars a few days ago.

4 Likes

Both sound like totally plausible explanations to me.

7 Likes

Agreed. I can’t even watch the originals without sneering at how awful some of the dialogue is. What once seemed quaint and a little dated was just revealed to be Lucas’s incredibly poor writing and incomprehension of people. Plus, because everyone realized the yet-unwritten story evolved from Star Wars (originally wasn’t even called ep IV) to ESB, it was easy to overlook a lot of the weirdness around Luke/Leia. Afterward, it just felt creepy.

2 Likes

Fuzzie-Wuzzie was a bear. Fuzzie-Wuzzie had no hair. Fuzzie-Wuzzie wasn’t very fuzzy, was he?

6 Likes

I don’t know what’s weird about it: it’s a common trope in the mythologies he was drawing on, but he didn’t actually have them get it on, as they would have in a proper myth…

4 Likes

I was going to post this until I learned today it’s a racist poem originating from British wars in Sudan, referring to black African hair.

4 Likes

I did not know that.

1 Like

Neither did I, until I went looking for the lyrics.

5 Likes

Huh, the background looks complicated. Rudyard Kipling’s 1892 poem “Fuzzy-Wuzzy” refers to the British wars in Sudan but makes no mention of a bear. The children’s rhyme “Fuzzy-Wuzzy was a Bear” came from a 1944 children’s novelty song and doesn’t appear to connect to the Kipling poem in any way beyond the title phrase.

5 Likes