Judge not CES

[Permalink]

The most amazing thing about CES is the demographics in the photograph. Let’s play “find someone who isn’t a white male…”

2 Likes

I will start caring about CES again when they get rid of the booth babes.

5 Likes

Am I at least allowed to judge ‘smart fridges’, with the wrath of an old testament god?

1 Like

Will your wrath also include smart BBQ grills?

Grills that support useful features like ‘allowing me to monitor the temperature from a distance even if the mosquitoes are biting outside or I’d rather play Skyrim during a slow-cooking operation’ are acceptable in my sight.

Things with grease-damageable touchscreens, or pointless internet connections to allow hackers to feast on their tender, incompetent, firmware, shall burn forever in a fire hotter than any they ever contained while in life.

8 Likes

ProbablyMatHonan dances around two related ideas but doesn’t connect them

No wonder; it’s been a long time since we saw a really incredible, all-new consumer device like the iPhone.

and

That week-long grind can inspire a world-weariness, all the more so because there is so much straight-up bullshit at CES. Skepticism is a must, otherwise you just end up with bloodless endorsements of everything.

For a time, Apple didn’t just hype how cool their new products were, they delivered on a good deal of that hype. And I think that’s why, for a time, people looked forward to Apple events whereas they dreaded the approaching hawking and overselling that is the contemporary CES.

2 Likes

Only if it’s a Frost God

1 Like

Time to bring CES back to Chi town

2 Likes

You don’t care about CES, though, right? You just want to hear about the good stuff.

Correct. But I think that may just be my age. I used to want to be able to feel the industry and know the state of the products. Now I just want someone to hand me a (very) short list of the stand-out items, one of which I might even buy within the year.

Which is another difference that comes with age. Before trade show coverage was about unrequited longing. Now it’s about potentially owning.

2 Likes

What about my idea? a fridge with a barcode scanner and info input so you know how long something has been in there and when you should eat it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.