Kansas lawmaker introduces bill to permit teachers to hit children hard enough to bruise

Perhaps they may not be yet grown-up enough to govern themselves. Can statehood be revoked?

4 Likes

People still say that over here. Especially when they say it in defense when they get charged, since it’s been explictedly illegal for a while.

Alas, still not enough red on http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Map_of_domestic_corporal_punishment_abolition.svg :frowning:

1 Like

Ahh you crazy American’s with your strange belief that Democrats aren’t conservatives.

20 Likes

Sometimes I think that Lincoln was wrong to glue North and South back together. The United States is not one country, it’s at least two, with each being occupied by the forces of the other.

2 Likes

Being Naughty in Kansas, that’s a paddlin’

3 Likes

Isn’t that Satanic video games and violent movies?

2 Likes

That in itself is a valuable lesson. :slight_smile:

I’m curious - now that you are no longer a child, when you are wrong do you still expect corporal punishment?

If you get a parking ticket, do you expect the police to come round and club your kneecaps? Those police officers put up with a lot of crap and get paid nothing, especially in Kansa. Anyone who commits a crime needs to learn respect and to respect the law.

Oh, but you’re a model citizen, right? Never broken the law in your life, never jaywalked, never littered, never exceeded the posted speed limit while driving? Never crossed the double yellow lines to make a technically illegal turn for the sake of convenience on an empty street? Never got the wrong amount of change back from a clerk? Never raised your voice in anger, never yelled at another person in public, never swore in public, never blasphemed in public, never did anything that might offend someone or disrepect them?

Of course not, otherwise you’d be a cripple by now, and deservedly so! What is the world coming to, where “science” is teaching us that beating people doesn’t actually work to prevent negative behavior, and in fact just damages people psychologically and makes them less capable human beings?

5 Likes

I thought it was the Dungeons and Dragons! That or those awful Science Fiction stories and Comic Books - the sort of stuff kids get exposed to in those newfangled Pool Halls!

3 Likes

It’s no laughing matter. In high school the principal kept a large wooden paddle (designed, I assume, for maximum pain) on his door, which he used on the black male students all the time.

3 Likes

I didn’t see the bill in the link, but what will constitute defiance? What if a child doesn’t answer because he is painfully shy or has other social issues?

People above already mentioned so many other problems with this proposed law, but in essence, through role modeling, they are telling children that assault is the way to achieve your goals.

8 Likes

Yeah, but isn’t that pretty much true of everything? From politico-geographic states right down to (up to?) mental ones?

I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic. …

4 Likes

Pool? Pool! POOL!!! Statan’s Testicles more like! Ban this filth!

Even when you grow up, society exerts control by the threat of sanctioned violence. It might be the threat of detention or confiscation rather than corporal punishment, but it is still about keeping us scared.

1 Like

But you see, our state has been rather progressive (across the board) for a very long time, until the rise of various groups like Operation Rescue, Citizens/Americans (under any Koch Brothers banner), and the Phelps clan.

It’s my assumption (having lived here many years of my life) that many conservative groups figured that being a quiet and unassuming state, that the citizenry would be ripe for takeover. I think they were right.

2 Likes

“Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.” —Proverbs

So, okay then…

The Democrats are conservatives, the fact that Republicans are sometimes barking mad conservatives doesn’t change that at all.

Up here in Canada we got the “Liberal” Party which, as it happens, is also conservative. It ain’t about the names it’s about the policies & practices, tho they do enjoy suckering young folk with their Liberal name.

8 Likes

Seriously: What the flying fuck is the matter with fucking Kansas?

2 Likes

A much more effective bill would be one that allowed citizens to beat up moronic ‘lawmakers’, and certainly would be a lot more satisfying!

2 Likes

And I’m absolutely sure that no sadistic perverts working in Kansas education that waiting to spank a 17 or 18 year old girl. (Rolls Eyes)

1 Like