'Lost in Space' robot creator Robert Kinoshita dies at 100

[Permalink]

The original Robby is a design classic.

6 Likes

Absolutely.

It was modern times back then. The Electrolux vacuum cleaner, the Sunbeam toaster, that Proctor-Silex coffee maker. All state-of-the-art and up-to-date. The Jetsons would not appear on TV for at least another then years.

From space, the Earh looked like a library globe, perhaps withouth the latitude and longitude lines. No one had seen an actual image, and did not expect clouds.

[edit] I am thinking of the Forbidden Planet robot. The Lost in Space robot showed up at about the same time as the Jetsons.

1 Like

The Lost In Space robot, like Robby, didn’t look at all human, except for being bipedal (sort of), and yet there was something so endearing, so approachable about the design.

I did find it kind of funny that when seen in full he’d roll along, but at other times would do a strange bobbing walk.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think I’m the only person who liked the Lost In Space movie…

1 Like

Commander John J. Adams: Nice climate you have here. High oxygen content.
Robby the Robot: I seldom use it myself, sir. It promotes rust.

2 Likes

I’m up for pretty much anything with Matt LeBlanc in it. Add in the strangely arresting William Hurt (his totally disconnected performance in Dark City is a stand out), the ever dependable Gary Oldman (best Comissionar Gordon ever) and the totally riveting Jared Harris (wonderful too in Game of Shadows), and what’s not to like?

I didn’t see it, but I have to ask: where there any giant walking carrots in it? If so, I’m so there…

1 Like

When I was a kid, I had one of the little plastic robot toys (blue one in the third picture). It was one of my most prized possessions.

RIP.

BTW: Someone (I will not mention who.) sells a full-sized partially working copy of the Forbidden Planet robot for about $37,000. They also had the Lost in Space robot for $24,500 but it is no longed available.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.