Mellow electronica video shows what happens in your computer when you spill juice all over it

[Permalink]

1 Like

Juice on electronics is the new coke on tooth.

<3 Lusine! Nice post!

Not exactly computer. Some of that may be computer-ish, but mostly it is an old CRT (some of that just in parts, e.g. the deflection coils), and there is the distinctive VCR VHS head assembly.

The cooking-off effects at the end are also done by application of external heat, not by making the things cook up on their own by the liquid-induced shorts.

An interesting thing to do could be hooking up e.g. a switching power supply or something similar that deals with high energies to measuring instruments and a power source, and try out various scenarios of exposure to water, both distilled, potable, and seawater.

Good eye-candy but the title was more promising.

4 Likes

Hello Shaddack,

I am the director of this video, thanks a lot for your message, I really enjoyed reading this. You are totally right, it’s amazing. You mentioned everything I used, with some computer parts too, an alarm clock, a small radio, etc… everything I could get my hands on during pre-production. I also used a sort of small computer we had in France a long time ago called Minitel.
Again, you are right! The cooking effect was done with a heat gun.
Your suggestion is really interesting, that would have been great to explore this concept even further, but, as I am working alone, with no crew and a small amount of instrument, it was already enough tricky!

If you want to read more about the making of the video, you can take a look here. Thanks!

1 Like

Wow. Good job!

I am a packrat. All of the things, in some variants, went through my hands when I took them home and took apart to salvage parts. (Or repair. People throw out so many things just due to a chewed cord, one bad transistor, capacitors gone bad (the most common problem with contemporary electronics) or a worn “unexchangeable” battery. Or just because it is old.)

Minitel! Isn’t it an almost-holy relic these days?

I expected either heat gun, or a high-power radiated heat. The image did not show airflow ripples on surface of the liquid nor migration of the drops (for heat gun) nor reflections of the telltale red light of a radiator (for radiating-heat heaters) so I was not certain.

For a lone-wolf job, very impressive, flaws be damned everything has them. Bonus points for using real blood in some places. :smiley:

I’d suggest timelapses of corrosion of objects, whether in a sea-mist atmosphere or submerged in acid or another aggressive solution. Electrochemistry (whether metal-deposition or dissolution) is also a nice trick.

For powering stuff from mains, while they are being exposed to environment/corrosion, or even from a high-power battery, during such experiments, be very aware of the shock risk and fire risk. Use an isolation transformer for mains. To prevent excessive currents (and breakers tripping), I connect a conventional filament-based lightbulb in series when playing with stuff (when it can go short-circuit by mistake or fault), with quite higher power than the device under test; a cold filament has about 11 times lower resistance than hot one.

For the sea-mist (if you are in a seashore), and other slow multi-day (multi-week?) processes, put the thing under test at some place and put around markers for the camera and tripod to always get the same shot. Keep the markers in the image, use them to finely align the shots in postprocessing (there will always be some inaccuracies and this may reduce them), crop them out afterwards.

I should stress I am more sci-tech than art, so I may be biased in both interpretation and techniques.

Keep on the good work :slight_smile: Eye candy is good!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.