Miley Cyrus sings a song about her dead blowfish while dressed as a unicorn

[Read the post]

1 Like

Girl gets a lot of haterade, but I, for one, find the absurd weird cheeky Miley a HUUUUUUUUUUGE step up from the tweenage pop star Miley.

6 Likes

I believe the woman has chops:

2 Likes

Does this mean blowfish make suitable aquarium pets for the casual enthusiast? I would think that if they only puff up when threatened (?) that they would be generally unimpressive.

Mawkish. The meaning of that word exemplified here I think.

Miley loves the Flaming Lips. If this song (and selected keyboard sound) doesn’t show that, I don’t know what will…

That being said, the article should point out that the point of these backyard videos is to raise funds for Happy Hippie Foundation, Miley’s nonprofit organization that rallies young people to fight injustice facing homeless youth, LGBT youth, and other vulnerable populations.

7 Likes

Best “headline” of the day for sure.

There are lots of pufferfish that people can keep in a home aquarium. It’s true you shouldn’t be making them puff up, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t interesting and charming fish.

3 Likes

"slamming her fingers down on the keys, grabbing her crotch and walking off into the arms of a friend. "

FIFYA

She’s totally talented. Her cover of Jolene (another Backyard Session) redeemed her musically for me. A lot of these interchangeable popstars actually can’t sing very well. Cyrus at least has that in spades. She’s a hot mess otherwise, but who isn’t at 20-something?

2 Likes

And she’s raised a ton of money for LGBT and homeless youth, and is a very talented singer, but sure, ignore that all because, just like many male rock stars she is flamboyant and sometimes even crude on stage.

Even Elvish gyrated his hips.

2 Likes

I don’t even think she’s a hot mess. I think she just knows how ridiculous the entertainment business is. She has raised a lot of money. She has stated in interviews that people are paying attention to her, so she’s going to use that attention for good. And she’s clearly ridiculously talented. And she’s not getting arrested and while she is being crude and “out there” she isn’t being particularly erratic.

Male rock starts act like this all the fucking time and it’s totally normal, but heaven forbid a young woman doesn’t act pure and demure and lady-like!

6 Likes

That’s the coolest thing I’ve heard about her yet. Great stuff.

This.

Remember, she grew up in The Biz. I mean, seriously, Dolly Parton is her godmother.

Dolly. Parton.

I’ve been watching her determined campaign to completely disconnect the celeb-identity of ‘Miley Cyrus’ from the memory of wholesome 'tween Hannah Montana with increasing amusement and admiration.

I think she knows exactly what she’s doing, and she seems to be having a hoot of a time doing it. And doing good for others at the same time.

So, yeah, Miley, YGG.

2 Likes

“I didn’t want to be a boy,” she told Out magazine. “I kind of wanted to be nothing. I don’t relate to what people would say defines a girl or a boy, and I think that’s what I had to understand: Being a girl isn’t what I hate, it’s the box that I get put into.”

I also think she knows she’s not like a lot of the other young female pop stars that have come before her. She was stifled a lot as a kid, and was not able to be herself. She was put into a very specific box at a very young age.

And she’s still so super young. I am not surprised she identifies so closely with LGBT youth. She is a lot like all of the LGBT youth I volunteered with and for back in Phoenix. She has a stoner party attitude but with a real passion for giving back to her community, just like all those young kids I knew who partied only after they raised money for charity at a car wash, or took part in a protest on the lawn of Arizona’s state capital.

Some of her music is problematic, but she’s still very young, and I think it’s important to remember where she grew up (Hollywood is fucked up, man). I don’t think it’s fair, or smart, to write her off.

I went to go share this today and the video has been taken down. :frowning: Such a lovely song as well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.